Quick/cheap lock for short periods

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited June 2015 in Commuting general
I'm looking for something simple just for while I pop into the shop for my newspaper on the way to work. Don't want anything major as it's obviously just a deterrent for that minute or two the bike is out of sight and I leave my actual lock at work.
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I got this combination lock from Wiggle, £18 or so

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-combiflex-202-90cm-cable-bike-lock/

15574a26eeef75c17e2a197c8d63511f.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    craker wrote:
    I got this combination lock from Wiggle, £18 or so

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-combiflex-202-90cm-cable-bike-lock/

15574a26eeef75c17e2a197c8d63511f.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

This

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I also use one of these for café stops. I got mine from Sports Direct, slightly smaller with only three digit combination but pretty much the same thing only it was £4.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    £3.58 inc postage.
    http://uk.suntekstore.com/goods.php?id= ... edium=paid

You can snip through all of these with any wire cutters but the same can be said of most cable locks.
  • birdie23
    whoof wrote:
    £3.58 inc postage.
    http://uk.suntekstore.com/goods.php?id= ... edium=paid

You can snip through all of these with any wire cutters but the same can be said of most cable locks.

Cheers.

True! It's just so I've got a deterrent, normally in and out so quick it's unnecessary but if you get stuck behind someone trying to decide what fags to buy it's nice to know your thief isn't just able to wheel it off.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As they will hold up a thief with a wire cutter for all of 3 seconds, it's all rather academic really, any cable lock will give the same protection or lack of unless you are talking a really heavy duty cable which defeats the object of the original post. I have a short thick(er) cable lock for that sort of use, but a decent pair of cutters will still go through it in a few seconds, just a smaller cutter won't get round it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Missybiker
    Missybiker Posts: 73
    What about those Dutch wheel locks? I've been thinking about something similar. I have a good kryptonite and cable lock which is fine for my commute or a visit in town but I too pop to a newsagent simply to pick up a paper and the rigmarole of doing the locks is undoubtedly a pain. ( takes me 8 mins to get my bike secure and the various bags/pump/light off for my commute!)

I think Arbus do them and also AXA defender

Has anyone tried them?
  • Pityacker
    Pityacker Posts: 10
    Not cheap but certainly more convenient than a lot of locks I was looking at - the hiplok http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hiplok-original ... hain-lock/

Quite heavy duty but you don't really feel the weight (or I don't, anyway). Just sling it around your waist with the strap and off you go. There's a smaller, cheaper one too.
  • No idea if it's good but I was looking at this

http://www.vanillabikes.com/products/kn ... Aqgs8P8HAQ

Knog_KL210-comp_large.jpg?v=1359490090
  • I'm looking for something simple just for while I pop into the shop for my newspaper on the way to work. Don't want anything major as it's obviously just a deterrent for that minute or two the bike is out of sight and I leave my actual lock at work.

I used to have a cheap light lock. Gone for 10 minutes and when I got back, so was my bike :-(

Thankfully I got it back (the bloke - or girl - who nicked it flogged it to a 2nd hand shop, who sold it to another bloke, who listed it on ebay and the good ole local rozzers got it back for me).

Learnt the error of my ways and invested £50 in a Krytonite Sold Secure Gold and cable (I use the cable to go through front wheel, with main lock going through rear wheel and frame).

Sadly the thieves of this world and now pretty good at breaking locks in a matter of seconds ...
  • I'm looking for something simple just for while I pop into the shop for my newspaper on the way to work. Don't want anything major as it's obviously just a deterrent for that minute or two the bike is out of sight and I leave my actual lock at work.

I used to have a cheap light lock. Gone for 10 minutes and when I got back, so was my bike :-(

Thankfully I got it back (the bloke - or girl - who nicked it flogged it to a 2nd hand shop, who sold it to another bloke, who listed it on ebay and the good ole local rozzers got it back for me).

Learnt the error of my ways and invested £50 in a Krytonite Sold Secure Gold and cable (I use the cable to go through front wheel, with main lock going through rear wheel and frame).

I agree with you, I wouldn't leave my bike for 10 minutes with a lock like that but for darting into a shop to two minutes it will prevent the opportunistic scum from just walking off with your bike?

Sadly the thieves of this world and now pretty good at breaking locks in a matter of seconds ...
  • birdie23

This is what I have for storing the bike at home and when I've worked in places with less secure cycle facilities but I don't want the 2 minute faff of that just for going in the shop, picking up the newspaper, handing over my voucher and coming back out.

Yes, any lock can be broken but your average opportunistic thief isn't walking around with his bolt cutters handy.

My bike actually has been stolen once but that's because I was stupid and didn't lock it. I'm fine with leaving it for two minutes if there's something to stop it just being rolled off.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC