Back in the saddle........

koop_71
koop_71 Posts: 33
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,
Just started riding again after 7 year break :oops:

Currently riding a 1995 British Eagle, which I've had from new 8)

can someone recommend a bike for woodland trails (perhaps even some blue routes?)

looking to buy secondhand and no more than £200 (if possible)

I keep looking but wouldn't know a good bike if it bit me, lol

currently like: Specialized Hardrock, Kona's and GT's (have heard Carreras are OK, but they're from Halfrauds?)

open to advice, thanks

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    koop_71 wrote:
    Hi guys,
    Just started riding again after 7 year break :oops:

Currently riding a 1995 British Eagle, which I've had from new 8)

can someone recommend a bike for woodland trails (perhaps even some blue routes?)

looking to buy secondhand and no more than £200 (if possible)

I keep looking but wouldn't know a good bike if it bit me, lol

currently like: Specialized Hardrock, Kona's and GT's (have heard Carreras are OK, but they're from Halfrauds?)

open to advice, thanks

At that price the carreras are better than pretty much all of those. I wouldn't worry about them being sold by halfords.

Also look at the voodoo hoodoo, it's what I've got as my second bike and I bought it within your budget with very little use. Try look for the 2011/12 model with the Raidon X1 air fork instead of the newer model with the Raidon X3 fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't bother with a big name brand, it will be worse value than a Carrera, Voodoo or Rockrider, bear in mind the Carrera and Voodoo are made in the same factory by the same people who make the Lardrock, just they use better parts on the others and then they are sold for less money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.