Superstar Icon hubs - convert to 11sp

Wilmore
Wilmore Posts: 122
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I have a set of Superstar carbon clinchers with the 10sp Icon hub. I've just ordered a new bike with 6800 and would really like to carry on using these wheels but I understand it's not just a case of changing the freehub so would be prepared to buy the Icon ultra hub (or similar) and have the wheel rebuilt.

Is this going to be fairly straightforward or will I need different length spokes too? I did email Superstar last week but they aren't the best with communication!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    All you need is myself to say anything and the SSC owner will be here any minute to advise...

So there you go... I said something and it's not defamatory... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    *Waiting for the current/next incarnation of paxington to turn up*
  • Wilmore
    Hmm, I'm guessing these comments follow on from the 30 odd page Pacenti thread a while back?

Am I right in thinking the likelihood is the hub dimensions will be different and therefore require new spokes too? I could probably do with something more robust than the Lazer spokes anyway but then it starts to get expensive. I've emailed Superstar again as I've never been able to get hold of them on the phone :roll:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Wilmore wrote:
    Hmm, I'm guessing these comments follow on from the 30 odd page Pacenti thread a while back?

Am I right in thinking the likelihood is the hub dimensions will be different and therefore require new spokes too? I could probably do with something more robust than the Lazer spokes anyway but then it starts to get expensive. I've emailed Superstar again as I've never been able to get hold of them on the phone :roll:

Disclaimer: don't try this at home!

The new Icon is the Novatec... basically a 482 model. Don't know about the older Icon (10 speed one). You can measure the hole distance... on top of my memory and don't quote me on this Novatec 482 is 41/49 mm L/R... so if that matches your hub, then you can re-use the spokes in theory. Trailing and leading should stay as such to avoid premature fatigue
  • Wilmore
    Thanks for that - I did get a response from SSC who confirmed the hubs are the same dimensions so I can use the spokes again however they recommend changing them anyway. Although they've only done a few hundred miles I think I'll change them as I'd like something a little more robust than Lazers - any recommendations?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Wilmore wrote:
    Thanks for that - I did get a response from SSC who confirmed the hubs are the same dimensions so I can use the spokes again however they recommend changing them anyway. Although they've only done a few hundred miles I think I'll change them as I'd like something a little more robust than Lazers - any recommendations?

DT Comp or Sapim Race are the obvious choice then... whichever you can source cheaper
  • Wilmore
    I'll probably go for Sapim Race at about 60p each...thanks for the advice.