Road Bike for Short Female

RowieB
RowieB Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy a road bike :-) After too many running injuries I need to start cross training in other sports. I do quite a lot of mountain biking but would like to now start road biking.

I'm 156cm tall.

I did purchase a Ribble Gran Fondo in a 44cm frame but unfortunately the frame arrived damaged and is now out of stock until July. I'm happy to wait if this will be the best bike for me but also keen to explore other options I perhaps hadn't considered. I have looked at the female version of the Planet X Pro Carbo but the smallest they do is for 5'42 - 5-7" riders? I have also looked at the Giant Liv Avail in XS which looks to have a similar geometry to the Ribble XS frame.

My budget all in would be £1200 tops.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I live in NE Scotland so unfortunately nowhere near Ribble or Planet X.

Cheers
RB

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13025935

You could have a look through these for some inspiration.
  • I think the info regarding rider height on the Planet X website is incorrect for the Women's specific Pro Carbon.
    The geometry lists the right frame sizes - S(44), M(48), L(52), XL(56), but the rider height bit is the same as the men's where the sizes are S(52), M(56), L(58), XL(60).
    I would ring them and enquire.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Pauls cycles have a 48cm Cannondale Supersix Tiagra for £899 Bargain.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Bianchi do 44cm which is what my mrs has. Take a look at Epic for excellent customer service...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • RowieB
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm checking out those suggestions now !!
  • RowieB
    Is the womens specific geometry meaningful or in reality, doesn't make much of a difference (especially to a novice)?

I've found a (non womens specific) bike in a 48cm frame. They said the difference in frame geometry is minor, it has narrower handlebars and a womens specific seat (I can easily change this though). Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and go for the 'non womens' one - it's £240 cheaper !
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Check out the Paul Milnes Ebay store. This is a genuine high street LBS based in Bradford who have an excellent online reputation.

They have a Merida Ride 88 in a 44cm (XXS) that could be of interest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merida-Ride-8 ... 1e9918e3f1

They also have a Merida Scultura 300 in a 44cm but that is a bit more expensive than the one above

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merida-Scultu ... 6d9444393e

To be honest, I wouldn't be too hung up on looking for "women specific" bikes - particularly with respect to the size you are after. In a 44cm there are unlikely to be any real differences between male and female geometries if that difference is necessary in the first place. I sense that the "women specific" angle is just another ploy to create a niche where the manufacturers can charge a premium. Sorry about the cynicism :shock:
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    RowieB wrote:
    Is the womens specific geometry meaningful or in reality, doesn't make much of a difference (especially to a novice)?

I've found a (non womens specific) bike in a 48cm frame. They said the difference in frame geometry is minor, it has narrower handlebars and a womens specific seat (I can easily change this though). Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and go for the 'non womens' one - it's £240 cheaper !

I wouldn't have thought so.

When I bought my Wife's bike we were looking at some small Mens bikes, but ended up getting a Woman specific bike because it it her better. Different bike manufacturers are all so different in their geometry, finding one that suits your body shape is more important.

One thing with to watch though is the saddle, I hear Women specific saddles make quite a difference in comfort.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I think the info regarding rider height on the Planet X website is incorrect for the Women's specific Pro Carbon.
    The geometry lists the right frame sizes - S(44), M(48), L(52), XL(56), but the rider height bit is the same as the men's where the sizes are S(52), M(56), L(58), XL(60).
    The frame size for the Small Pro Carbon is the same at 44cm for both male and female options, IIRC the only differences are the gear ratios, saddle etc.
  • RowieB
    This is all a bit of a minefield isn't it!

I'm now swithering over a Cannondale Synapse Carbon or a Synapse Aluminium but with Disc Brakes?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    RB
  • I think the info regarding rider height on the Planet X website is incorrect for the Women's specific Pro Carbon.
    The frame size for the Small Pro Carbon is the same at 44cm for both male and female options, IIRC the only differences are the gear ratios, saddle etc.

Sorry, my mistake. I think I must've compared the London Road frame sizes to the Pro Carbon sizes listed on the female specific Pro Carbon page.
  • Shuggy76
    Shuggy76 Posts: 91
    My gf is the same height as you and she ordered a Canyon Endurance XS frame, which fits just fine. The seat-post is at the minimum level though!
    The sizing procedure on their Website seems pretty comprehensive if you're not sure.

Cheers

Steve
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

I'm now swithering over a Cannondale Synapse Carbon or a Synapse Aluminium but with Disc Brakes?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    RB

Depends on how much descending you're planning to do in crap weather. Possibly a lot since you're in Scotland :wink: If it was my choice I'd go for the carbon frame and put up with the longer stopping distance in the wet.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    RB

Depends on how much descending you're planning to do in crap weather. Possibly a lot since you're in Scotland :wink: If it was my choice I'd go for the carbon frame and put up with the longer stopping distance in the wet.

My wife prefers disc brakes as coming from hydraulic mountain bike disc brakes she wanted good brakes and dislikes rim brakes. For the bike just go for one that fits you, both my wifes bikes are women specific as she preferred them on a test ride.