Shimano rear mech with "clutch" - chainstay protector?

thebluevoice
thebluevoice Posts: 31
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya!

I've ordered a shiny new full sus bike which comes with a XT shadow plus rear mech.

Will the clutch thing on this be sufficient to render a chainstay cover redundant?

If not, which one would people suggest for a canyon nerve 29er (chainstay length is 450mm but not sure of its circumference...)

cheers!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Old inner tube and cable ties.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    cooldad wrote:
    Old inner tube and cable ties.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    spend all that money on a new shiny bike and put that shite on it? I'd buy a proper one for around a tenner.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a neoprene one as it's lighter, great protection even without a clutched mech, so with......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I use a neoprene one - Lizard Skins looks nice - or rubber electrical tape which, with a bit of care, can look like a custom made component. It's probably my overactive imagination that keeps me from having anything that's not thoroughly secured next to all those moving parts.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Depends if you remember to switch the clutch mech to on before riding off :) I frequently forget to do this.
  • The Rookie
    Why not leave it on? Or do you remove the wheels a lot?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    With the clutch on it's still needed in my experience. Another vote for old inner-tubes.
  • Thanks for the responses.

Being as the bike is new & shiny, I'll put a neoprene one on it then, the old hardtail can have the used inner tube :)
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    spend all that money on a new shiny bike and put that shite on it? I'd buy a proper one for around a tenner.

...or maybe £20...

...Well, I have just bought a brand new shiny bike, but I ride it in my old, used, dusted, kit...is that mean I should buy a brand new kit to match my 'new bike' ???????

Back to the question, I use neoprene one but would go with inner tube and ties next time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    An XT Sharkfin. Retro awesomeness.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Even they were a bit shite. They can unstruck and needed to be cable tied down at the back. Just mark prevention rather than shutting it up.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why not leave it on? Or do you remove the wheels a lot?

My car is not the most practical at bike carrying - cant fit a roof rack and it's both wheels off to get it in the boot so gets switched on/off a lot.
  • The Rookie
    Fair enough, I'd sort of guessed that, just need to get into the habit of flicking it on!

My old HT had a neoprene protector (MBUK freebie) on it, after 4 years when it finally came off the paint on the stay was unmarked. Cheap ones can be had off ebay for about a fiver, or Lizard skins are circa £8-10. Halfords stock them.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    kinioo wrote:

...or maybe £20...

...Well, I have just bought a brand new shiny bike, but I ride it in my old, used, dusted kit...does that mean I should buy brand new kit to match my 'new bike' ???????
    . . .

Is that even a question? Of course you need a load of lovely new kit to go with your shiny new bike!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have found old innertubes more effective than neoprene guards. They last forever, fit virtually any bike perfectly and kill the noise better. Neoprene guards wear pretty quickly and look like crap. The innertube on my DH bike is over two years old and still looks like the day I fitted it. Take your time to do a neat job and it looks fine.
  • The Rookie
    My neoprene was on for four years, just started looking tatty, paint underneath was perfect, sounds fine to me!