Recommend me a good MTB saddle

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello All,

As my stock giant seat is, well, slightly better than bare board I started to think about upgrade here.

What would be your picks for good MTB saddle ??

- below £100;
- aggressive leisure (I like that) riding :))

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    kinioo wrote:
    Hello All,

As my stock giant seat is, well, slightly better than bare board I started to think about upgrade here.

What would be your picks for good MTB saddle ??

- below £100;
    - aggressive leisure (I like that) riding :))

Thanks,

Chris

Go to a few shops and try them on the bikes. Plus, have a saddle fit as different people will have different bum sizes etc. Buy what works for you.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I like my charge spoon/Madison flux. Well regarded on here too whilst being about a quarter of your budget. Depends if it suits you though
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    fizik gobi, highly reduced on CRC. about £40 from £80. very comfortable, relitively light
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    measure your sit bones and try saddles that are suitably wide/narrow for your arse
  • esa2
    esa2 Posts: 44
    I replaced my Giant saddle with this. Vey pleased with it

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/s ... ale-saddle
  • I had a Charge Scoop which I didn't get on with at all, way too hard. Replaced with a WTB Volt and it's lovely!
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    I rode on a charge seat on someone else bike just last week and have to say it was very comfortable indeed. Much better than my own bike.
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I used to love SDG Bel-air saddles and was convinced I was going to have to change the WTB Volt on my Bronson but it has been fine. I find any saddle feels a little odd until you break your arse in. As it were.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I rent Giant bikes a lot when overseas and find the saddles an instrument of torture that the Spanish inquisition would be envious of, so much so that I keep a Carrera saddle on a seatpost in our overseas office which I swap on.

I love the feel of the Charge saddles, have 2 Spoons and a Knife, Cro-mo rails are little dearer than the cheapest and worth it for the weight saving, Ti if you want lighter still, my Ti Knife is just over 200g, can be found for £27ish (ebay) upwards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    I'm up at a normal time, just in a time zone that is somewhat ahead of the UK, will be riding a Giant with a Carrera saddle this weekend!

I've yet to pluck up the courage to try one of those, next time one wears out I probably will give it a try!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ferrals wrote:
    fizik gobi, highly reduced on CRC. about £40 from £80. very comfortable, relitively light

I had one of them. It was like some sort of torture device for me.
    One persons super comfy saddle can be extremely uncomfortable for someone else.
    I like my SDG Bell Air. Most comfy saddle I have had.
  • kinioo
    Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, was thinking of measuring my ars* as some of the shops have special stool to do it correctly.

Charge Scoop is one of few I may try.

Need to find good shop with bigger range of saddles ...

Thanks again.

Chris
  • The Rookie
    That is where the Spoon scores, anecdotally it seems to get many more likers than haters, so on an odds basis it's a good bet, plus nearly new ones sell readily for not much below the new price if you can't get on with it.

Can't comment on the Scoop, but it's not as universally well received as the Spoon.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    That is where the Spoon scores, anecdotally it seems to get many more likers than haters, so on an odds basis it's a good bet, plus nearly new ones sell readily for not much below the new price if you can't get on with it.

Can't comment on the Scoop, but it's not as universally well received as the Spoon.

Thanks Rookie, will have a look at Spoon.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have a Charge Spoon on my commuter and was going to put one on my MTB. Whilst searching for the best price last week I came across the Charge Pan on offer from Rutland for a mere £15.00.
    Only had 1 ride on it so far but it is very comfortable.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I think Charge have nailed the universal saddle as it seems to fit nearly everyone, incidentally as I was strapped for cash I picked up a Madison Flux which is pretty much a spoon relabelled for a fair bit less.