Boardman Team Carbon Freehub

jmcdyre
jmcdyre Posts: 27
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi Folks, hoping someone can help me as the good folk at Halfords are unable to. Great service after spending £1000 on a bike.

Anyway,

I need to get my rear freehub (Boardman 2014 Team Carbon) replaced.

Halfords do not stock one, and cannot tell me where to get one. They did give me a catalog number for ordering instore, which I did, but have just been called to say Halfords can't source them and can't find another supplier. I'm a bit disappointed. The only info they could give was that I need a FHB None-Sealed Hub, but buggered if I can find anything online!

Everything on my bike is as supplied, so Mavic CXP-22S rims.

Had a problem try to get a rear derailleur hanger after falling off Feb 2014. They couldn't help then either.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news buy if Halfords can't help then you're on a bit of a hiding to nothing with the identification of the hubs used and the matching freehub replacement (if one exists)

As with many of the stock offerings around the £1K mark, costs are often saved by providing a pretty cheap and cheerful wheelset. Nothing wrong with the Mavic CXP 22 rims but they are probably married to some OEM hubs churned out to meet a price point. If you can identify who made them then there is just a possibility that you can track down a replacement freehub.

You may just have to bite the bullet and save towards a wheel upgrade or alternative have a look on Ebay to see if anyone is selling off a 10-speed Shimano rear wheel
  • jmcdyre
    arlowood wrote:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news buy if Halfords can't help then you're on a bit of a hiding to nothing with the identification of the hubs used and the matching freehub replacement (if one exists)

As with many of the stock offerings around the £1K mark, costs are often saved by providing a pretty cheap and cheerful wheelset. Nothing wrong with the Mavic CXP 22 rims but they are probably married to some OEM hubs churned out to meet a price point. If you can identify who made them then there is just a possibility that you can track down a replacement freehub.

You may just have to bite the bullet and save towards a wheel upgrade or alternative have a look on Ebay to see if anyone is selling off a 10-speed Shimano rear wheel

Thanks for reply. Still trying with Halfords on twitter, still hope!

If it didn't work, I may well do as you suggest. I'm a bit of a newb (not to cycling, but to any involved maintenance/upgrades) so probably some more questions to come!!
  • jmcdyre
    well after all that, after tweeting I got a phone call. Customer service chap from Halfords had that exact part in his hands, and is sending one out to me free of charge :)
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    The hubs on my Boardman MTB (with different mavic rims - came on it) are unbranded formula ones if that is any help - they may be similar?
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • jmcdyre
    bob6397 wrote:
    The hubs on my Boardman MTB (with different mavic rims - came on it) are unbranded formula ones if that is any help - they may be similar?

Thanks. They're sending one out FOC now. Will post any details as soon as I have it in case anyone else has the problem.