Made a BOO BOO

Aceface83
Aceface83 Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Need help please lads and ladies, I just bought myself a brand New Carera Vulcan and Mr Stupid here didn't test or even sit on it ( yes I know) anyway I'm not into proper mountain biking and this bike obviously is. It's not that I don't like it it's lovely I just need to do some commuting ( only a few miles) but this is clearly a trial bike, I can't get on wth the stance and it'll be slow on the road, obviously I shoulda gone for a Hybrid. So my question is can someone recommend a more sit up and beg go down muddy paths over SOME small bits of rough but equally comfy to do a few miles bike please. Plus if anyone knows someone who wants a brand new carera Vulcan with an upgraded gel saddle they can message me for details and I'll do them a cash deal , thanks in advance

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Can you not adjust the saddle, lock the forks, and put slicker tyres on it? Best of both worlds?

Just thinking about loosing money by selling it really...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Same frame as the Carrera Subway Hybrid, I would get an inline seatpost and shorter stem with steeper rise, and or riser bars with more backsweep (get them off ebay and shouldnt cost you more than £10 each delivered, probably even less) and that will bring you more upright, slicker tyres and you would be good to go.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    In answer to your question get a Boardman MX comp - excellent for what you need.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't think he's listening.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    No-one listens to me. Wife, kids, work, prosecution....
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    As above lock out the folks and get some city jets job done!
  • JayKay3000
    JayKay3000 Posts: 163
    Tyre - Just put a set of Schwalbe big apples on it. Big bens are the same tyre with a little ridges for slightly better off road grip.

I put a set of big bens of my 27.5 fs bike because I had a mix of road and bumpy off road trail and I had no crashes and was actually amazed at the feel on road and the grip off it @ 60psi

These type of tyres I would not suggest riding in thick mud on trails, but for dry days or sensibly getting off road they're great.

Bike hybrid - If you were to sell the mtb then get a hybrid. Trek do the FX series that come in pretty cheap. I owned a mid range version. The advantage of the hybrid is the pannier racks (luggage) that open up a wider amount of riding opportunities from longer rides, shopping on the bike or not having a sweaty pack on your back. It's something I really miss on my fs and have days when the fs is just is not quite the right bike for the ride I fancy doing. Hybrid bikes mostly have better provisioning for mud guards, such as ones that cover the whole wheel.

Bike mountain bike - But then it's a trade off. A 29 inch wheel mountain bike would give you an equivalent 700c road wheel size that, combined with slicker tyre and short travel suspension with a lockout and ideally rear pannier racks make for a more versatile all round bike.

Sizing - general charts can be found on the internet, but just like most things size is not always the same per manufacturer. Riding a bike is a must as an incorrect sized bike will trash your body in the long run.

Have fun out there.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't think he's listening.
    I know a lot of people ignore CD, but do so at your peril for age has made him wise (as well as wrinkly, unfit and fat of course), the OP hasn't been back since posting, so you're all wasting your time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.