After market ceramic wheel bearings

Fishboyz
Fishboyz Posts: 152
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Interested in looking at these as had them in my old zipp 404's

Anyone know best place to source, brands to look for etc?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    bearing (heh heh, soz) in mind that they'll make marginal difference at best

poor ceramics will be worse than good steel ones, avoid ones of unknown quality/tolerance, poor tolerance parts can damage things

ceramicspeed are high quality, but also high price...

http://ceramicspeed.com/sport/products/WheelKits
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    the Hub Doctor - i think they are US based but you give them your wheel spec and they send the bearing to suit including ceramics, at a great price

I think they are on Ebay, or try
    HubDoctor LLC
    jbosboom@dslextreme.com
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    sungod wrote:
    ceramicspeed are high quality, but also high price...

http://ceramicspeed.com/sport/products/WheelKits

That link is the funniest thing I have seen this year :-)
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    Bar Shaker wrote:

i had to look twice, i thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    how much!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Unless you're pedalling at 10,000rpm, ceramics are a waste of money as there's no evidence they'll deliver any benefit, apart from emptying your wallet.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    sungod wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Surely people don't actually pay that?? :shock: Nuts....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Stueys wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Surely people don't actually pay that?? :shock: Nuts....

Yeah, prices of goods can easily spiral out of control.

Let's assume they are high end full zirconia balls and races that the factory sell for 30 pounds to the wholesaler based in Whateveristan... who then pass them on to a distributor for 60 pounds + VAT (72 pounds)... who then sell them to the retailer for 144 + VAT (173 pounds), who then sell them online for 288 + VAT, hence 345 pounds and a few pennies...

In the process, there is enough VAT to build roads and hospitals or pay FIFA officials to cast a vote for a World Cup in the desert... so it's all good, really... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Although i agree VAT can be excessive, your given impression of VAT seems slightly incorrect. VAT is only paid once on goods. If you are reseller and are charged VAT you will reclaim it on your purchase and charge again when its moved on. In this way the only VAT that goes to the exchequer is for the last transaction to the end user or non-VAT registered business, who cannot charge VAT.

Your example suggests the total VAT colleciton is £98, whereas it would in fact "only" be £58 (rounding up).

And no, i'm not a VAT inspector ;-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    86inch wrote:
    Although i agree VAT can be excessive, your given impression of VAT seems slightly incorrect. VAT is only paid once on goods. If you are reseller and are charged VAT you will reclaim it on your purchase and charge again when its moved on. In this way the only VAT that goes to the exchequer is for the last transaction to the end user or non-VAT registered business, who cannot charge VAT.

Your example suggests the total VAT colleciton is £98, whereas it would in fact "only" be £58 (rounding up).

And no, i'm not a VAT inspector ;-)

My point is that every step of the way (n) the goods value (V) is multiplied by 2.4
    If it is only 2.4 x [n(2 x V)] is a bit less but still a lot
    left the forum March 2023
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I think it's more a reflection of pricing based on propensity to spend, which sadly it seems as if cycling has picked up a tag for. Ceramic bearings as used in plenty of industrial applications which go nowhere near this kind of insane pricing.