OT: Wills

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
Wills, not wheels.

Does anybody have any advice at all on DIY wills? I've heard that as long as the circumstances are very simple they are OK.

My Father wants to make a will with me as the sole beneficiary, I don't think our circumstances could be any simpler, does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Do you have any legal cover with your home insurance?

Might be worth looking into that. I had with more than and that included a will option. Failing that DIY job from smiths should do the job if its a as simple as you get everything...

Might not be best to post this on a public forum if you are planning to bump the old boy off though.... :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • essex-commuter
    rubertoe wrote:

Might not be best to post this on a public forum if you are planning to bump the old boy off though.... :wink:

Not planning on doing that at the moment! I've spent the past 2 months getting him ready to move out of his house in the East End to a residential home 10 minutes from me. Not an easy job on your own especially as he feels the need to keep EVERYTHING! Bless him!

"Keep that drill bit, it only needs sharpening".
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Should be pretty straight forward then.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I wouldn't bother with a DIY will - it's well worth spending a couple of hundred quid plus VAT to get it done properly. If it goes pear-shaped afterwards, it could cost a lot more than that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    A will could be written on the back of an envelope and do the job perfectly.

However start trying to divi things up in a tax efficient way and you should get an expert to do it as a screw-up will cost far more than their fee. The same goes for an estate that is being divided up amongst people that are likely to be unset or ungrateful and will cause a legal dispute. A professional will doesn't eliminate a tax issue or a legal dispute, but it'll save you from daft blunders.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248

"Keep that drill bit, it only needs sharpening".

Incidentally I need some decent drill bits for hard steel... so leave those out of the will, please... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Money brings out the worse in people - if there is anybody who could be expecting something then they may contest the will at that point a couple of hundred quid getting it done professionally would look like money well spent.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Have you heard of Will Aid? It is every november and you for a donation (usually around £100) will write a will for you.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It is honestly astonishingly easy to write, assuming it's all simple.

If you're actually saying the circumstances are really that simple, you don't even need one, as the estate would first pay its debts (loans, mortgage, funerals, etc) then the money would go to spouse first, then children, then the crown (I think, been a while)

I would recommend he writes one, because there's nothing like a big chunk of money to bring scumbags and old flames out of the woodwork. See here for a starter.

I wrote my own; it took about half an hour, had it witnessed by two people. Done.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Don't forget to write a will for yourself!!! ie think where your new found wealth would be allocated
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Writing a will is one thing, making sure it's written and executed in the correct circumstances, making it leas susceptible to challenge is another. If he sees a solicitor, it should at least then be possible to say that he received independent legal advice in preparing the will and that there's no duress or undue influence at play. As said above, money brings out the worst in people.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    davis wrote:
    If you're actually saying the circumstances are really that simple, you don't even need one

I'd strongly advise against this as dying intestate can have unforeseen consequences.

As Surrey Commuter said, money brings out the worst in people and it can be surprising what a few will stoop to.

From experience, it's definitely best to have things clearly set out in a will, and done unambiguously and irreproachably at that.
  • essex-commuter
    Good comments and good advice, thank you.

I am an only child, there is no other family but I think I'll take the advice and get something drawn up legally. Will probably ask for a quote from the local Solicitor looking after the conveyencing for Dad's move.

Cheers.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Have you heard of Will Aid? It is every november and you for a donation (usually around £100) will write a will for you.

+1 that's how we got ours done

Costs more if you want Inheritance tax advice as well

Money goes to charideeeee :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    get it done professionally. If you don't you could make an expensive mistake.

for example, if you witness a will you cannot also be the beneficiary of the will.Doing it yourself you might just think it's my dad, of course i will witness it and cause you loads of grief further down the line.

Can be done for less than £100.
    FCN = 4