How to buy from US without US address...

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Want to buy something from US but they will not ship to UK, is there anyway I can work around this?

Ta

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    https://www.shipito.com/

Works best with higher value items, no good for ordering a pair of socks ;)
  • jasondxb
    jasondxb Posts: 59
    Try Aramex and see if you can get a shop & ship account
  • https://www.bundlebox.com/

I've used these people before - seemed to work absolutely fine for an eBay purchase where the US seller didn't want to post overseas. It effectively gives you a US postal address where they forward things to you in the UK.

THI
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    What are you trying to buy? Based on exchange rates Europe is far cheaper than the States (the savings on VAT is false economy as you'll pay import duties when it arrives).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Grill wrote:
    What are you trying to buy? Based on exchange rates Europe is far cheaper than the States (the savings on VAT is false economy as you'll pay import duties when it arrives).

I'd definately recommend anyone who is interested in buying specialized gear to compare UK and U.S Prices. I saved a ton of money by sourcing components in the states.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Grill
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I'd definitely recommend anyone who is interested in buying specialized gear to compare UK and U.S Prices. I saved a ton of money by sourcing components in the states.

But how long ago? Doubt it was in the last 6 months...
  • turbotommy
    Grill wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I'd definitely recommend anyone who is interested in buying specialized gear to compare UK and U.S Prices. I saved a ton of money by sourcing components in the states.

But how long ago? Doubt it was in the last 6 months...

March this year I got a set of s works crank arms, RRP £400 for around £190. And also a carbon spider RRP £150 I believe, for around £100.

Admittedly I had a friend send them over to me, and managed to avoid some of the potential costs mentioned above. But I still believe you'd come out on top even taking that into consideration. Although you may prove me wrong on that.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Grill
    If you don't have a 'friend' willing to middle man, it's going to be very difficult. Also worth noting that most cards as well as PayPal charge fees when dealing with currency exchanges.
  • turbotommy
    Grill wrote:
    If you don't have a 'friend' willing to middle man, it's going to be very difficult. Also worth noting that most cards as well as PayPal charge fees when dealing with currency exchanges.

You might be right but I'd be interested in actually seeing some numbers.

When you're getting some items at a 50% reduction on UK RRP it leaves a fair bit of wiggle room.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift