Calibre 2.2 spec. How can they do it?

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
So I posted yesterday that I was looking at this bike, and all reviews seem great. One dodgy comment on another forum, but that's it in terms of negativity. Been looking at other similarly priced bikes, ones in Decathlon, Voodoo and so on, all their spec seems lower. Forks, drivechain, brakes. Looking at more expensive, £700-800 seems to get a similar spec normally, so what's the deal?

What's so bad on the Calibre to reduce the price? Looking at one in the metal today, some of the finishing wasn't perfect, the welds could have been neater I suppose, but it's a mountain bike, not a ming vase. Or is it just a case of they've put together a great spec at a low price to sell a new brand of bike?

Thanks,

James.
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nothing bad, just high volume component buying, no middle men involved in the own brand product. And I suspect low margins to keep prices down and increase market share.
    It's a perfectly good frame and excellent bike for the money.
  • jamski
    Thanks very much, appreciate the comment.
  • mistryr3
    mistryr3 Posts: 7
    Hi James,

Have a look at my topic called 'Buying 1st MTB - £350-£400 - 4 to choose from (updated)'. Might be useful.

Thanks,
    Ricky
  • jamski
    mistryr3 wrote:
    Hi James,

Have a look at my topic called 'Buying 1st MTB - £350-£400 - 4 to choose from (updated)'. Might be useful.

Thanks,
    Ricky

Thanks very much. I'm hoping knowing a Go Outdoors store manager means I will get a significant discount, and that will probably be the deciding factor. I agree the forks are the weakest link probably, but for what I'm going to be doing initially should be fine, and I think I would prefer to upgrade the forks in future rather than the drivechain.

Depending on the discount I may well do the cycle to work scheme, and that would open up other options, the Voodoo being one of them.:)
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If you go down the voodoo route there are various ways to get discount at halfords, British cycling membership for about £21 will give 10%, plus I believe quidco or one of the other cash back sites give cash back there too.
  • jamski
    So, I can get the Calibre 2.2 for £281.

Think I'll go for it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    .22 (air rifle and rimfire and centre fire 'calibres' for weapons)......

Good choice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.