Cervelo S3 owners

davidb67
davidb67 Posts: 39
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been cycling for just 2 1/2 years now, initially buying my excellent Trek Madone 4.9 Di2 to train-for and then complete a London to Paris event to raise money for charity. I did it all over again in 2014 as my son (21) wanted to do it, and I'm having a third go this year, although self-indulgent this one as we're doing the July event to watch the final stage of TdF.

I'm smitten with the stunning looks of the Cervelo S3 (come-on, show me someone who HASN'T bought a bike based on looks alone!) and I'm at a point in life where I could treat myself to this. It's way more bike than I'd ever get the best out of, and of course a sensible option would be to upgrade the wheels on my Madone but life's too short and I keep thinking of the S3, why-not: a few more years and I'll have reached my half-century (years not miles!!).

Funnily-enough my son and I were out on Saturday for a bit of a ride and pulled into a cafe, and there were about 4 Cervelo's - couple of R3's, an R2 and a Soloist. Unfortunately that group were just heading-out, so no real chance to detain the Cervelo owners for a chat. I did however notice a set of older Fulcrum Racing wheels on one of the bikes that had flat bladed spokes that were a good 6-7mm wide!! I thought the spokes on my son's Boardman Carbon Pro Mavic Askium standard wheels, at about 2.5-3mm looked wide!!

The type of riding I do is undulating hills of Northumberland for pleasure (& training for sportive's and event's like L2P), so research tells me that the R3 is the slightly more comfortable frame etc, but then I bought my Madone over the Domane - my last "racing" bike was a steel-framed Raleigh Record 33 years ago so even the racier harder frame of the Madone felt comfy compared with my previous point of reference!

Although there is a dealer here in the North, I doubt a half-day's ride will be enough to convince me that the S3 ISNT the right choice. I know a lot of people on the forums would suggest spending that sort of money on something completely different, and that Cervelo's are not that special, but the heart wants what the heart wants!!!

Would appreciate S3 owners' views - just count yourselves fortunate guys, at least I'm not starting a thread asking about what wheels to drop £1k - £1.5k on to upgrade my existing bike, factory-bling vs. hand-assembled loveliness!

David

Comments

• Hi,

Ive had my S3 for about 8 months and absolutely love it! Stiff and light enough to be a quick climber and very aero. Was worried about the frame getting caught in cross winds after coming from an S2 but not a problem. Quality of the frame and how the carbon is trimmed it very good. I have chipped the paint on the front drop-out after making an arse of putting the wheel on - there is a lip on the drop out to help keep the wheel in place.
    Ive got an R3 team and an S3 and its the s3 coming out with me every time!
    No issues really. I had a creaking bottom bracket after a few hundred miles. The solution was to locktite the bottom bracket in. This was an official fix from cervelo. Also means that bb30 bearings can be fitted instead of a full set of cups and bearings. If i was to build up the frame again, id opt for a shimano chainset rather than the rotor one. There are now bottom brackets to fit Sram GXP, shimano and Rotor bottom brackets now.

Im also in the North east region. I think there is a cycle shop in corbridge that stocks or at least used to stock cervelos. I purchased my frame from Cycle world in sunderland. The guys were very good at setting the bike up. Opted for Di2. There mechanic Luke came up with a way of fitting the battery into the frame to keep the bike looking sleek.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Wheelbase in Staveley nr Kendall list Cervelo S3 amongst their stock bikes

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/bikes-frames ... -2015.html

Not too far to pop over the Pennines. Call ahead and I'm sure they could sort out a suitable test bike.

Also Leisure Lakes stock the Cervelo S3

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1806 ... -bike-2015

and have a branch in Lancaster

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/locati ... /lancaster

Cervelo not listed among the brands stocked at Lancaster but might be worth a call.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Infinity Cycles near Durham (Langley Moor) are also a Cervelo dealer.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Try the bikeman at Prudhoe - I nearly bought an r3 dark from there

Never rode an S3 but do like the frame, too similar to my boardman road team carbon so like you I have a Madone but 5.2. I know S3 is in different league to Boardman but Madone is the more comfortable ride, whether faster I don't know and my choice of ride, admittedly

I did hire an older model R3 to climb Sa Colebra, frame was 51 which felt bit too small, decent climbing back out my saddle but not as good as my Madone or the Cannodale super six rode year before. Have you not thought of an Italian bike Colnago or De Rosa

I did ride an R3
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    I have owned an S3 since March last year, an impulse buy, bought purely on its looks...haven't regretted it at all. Very comfortable bike, since owning it I have completed Liege-Bastogne-Liege challenge twice and a 217 mile ride from Manchester to London, no complaints of sore back, neck stiffness or other cycling related ailments that some folk suffer from. I am 6 foot and ride a size 58cm, sizing is spot-on.

The BB is still the one it came with, no issues there, I remove the crank to give the BB a wipe after wet rides as it's so easy to do, so I don't know know if that helps prevent it creaking. This is mine: ww.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12963794&hilit=CERVELO+S3&start=20
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • davidb67
    davidb67 Posts: 39
    thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated. I know Cycleart/Bicyclerepairman in Prudhoe, just wondered if there were any other dealers, which you've all highlighted, thanks.

CheshireCat - read the thread with pics of your bike with various upgrades & wheels, looks stunning.
    Badgerboy - any pics of the internal battery-mod? This would be something I'd be keen to have done if I take the plunge.

David
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    They are lovely bikes, my friend has one and loves it. He's running 404's on the bike and it looks pretty much the business. Worth noting that the current R frames closed the gap a fair amount on the S frames in terms of aero, and they have a nice blend of compliance and stiffness. I ride a '14 R5 which I'm deeply smitten with. I've always worked on the premise that the S bikes are the fastest whilst the R bikes have a more balanced blend of compliance, stiffness and handling. But those boundaries are blurring all the time with each iteration. You won't go wrong with an S3.