Looking for better tyre than Continental Grand Sport Race

Wheelinthai
Wheelinthai Posts: 12
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
The front tyre on new my GT Grade Carbon Ultegra just blew. I suspect it was tired out from sitting on the shelf. I'd like to replace same with some thing better. Not that there is any thing wrong with this Grand Sport Race. Any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Conti 4000s II not cheap but worth it and I think these days the defacto performance all rounder
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,238
    Yup. What ITB said.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Michelin Pro 4 SC. Cheaper than the 4000s and just as good.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Grill wrote:
    Michelin Pro 4 SC. Cheaper than the 4000s and just as good.

+1 from me. Not a fan of GP4Ks
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • string78
    string78 Posts: 59
    I recently got GP4000 2's for about £23 a tyre from Rose, cant go wrong for that.

Tried Pro4's once, the second ride the rear tyre was cut open beyond repair - probably bad luck rather than bad quality product but left me going back to GP4000's
  • Wheelinthai
    Wheelinthai Posts: 12
    Thanks for all quick helps. I'll definitely look into Conti 4000s II. Also the Michelin Pro 4 SC. I am pondering Panaracer Gravel King as well, but it's very new to me.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have usually prefer the Vittoria Corsa CX. tried the Pro 4s prefer the Vittorias. Are the Conti 4000s II better than the Vittorias? Never thought the previous generation where better.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    string78 wrote:
    I recently got GP4000 2's for about £23 a tyre from Rose, cant go wrong for that.

Tried Pro4's once, the second ride the rear tyre was cut open beyond repair - probably bad luck rather than bad quality product but left me going back to GP4000's
    ditto - found the performance of the Contis GP 2000 2's better in the wet too - the Pro4 side wall is so fragile to cuts as well
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    string78 wrote:

ditto - found the performance of the Contis GP 2000 2's better in the wet too - the Pro4 side wall is so fragile to cuts as well

Over 15,000 miles on Pro4's with no cuts worth mentioning. The Pro3's cut easily but that's been rectified.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pro4 SC 25m are 33 for the pair at decathlon as well. Moved to them as much cheaper than 4000s (not tried MK II)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Some honey glazed ham wrapped around an inner tube would make a better tyre than the Grand Sport race.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I've had good performance from regular Conti Grand Prix tires.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Vittoria corsa cx or sc tyres for me. I suffer very few puntures. They do cut but if the flint does not go through there is no problem. I get 1500 miles from the tyre before the file thread is worn and change the tyre.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    I have both ..much prefer continental GP4000's