cant get tyre on rim with a tube so tubeless it is

Andy1969
Andy1969 Posts: 59
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

I have just bought 2 Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres and have tried to fit them on my Shimano XT M788 wheels, no matter what I try the tyre will not go on the wheel with a tube fitted, I have punctured 3 tubes trying :oops: I have built many bikes, rebuilt forks etc but this is beating me.

I have decided to go tubeless, will I need a conversion kit or just valves and sealant, my wheels are UST not sure about the tyres, I have been thinking about going tubeless for a while so this has made my mind up :D

Any advice will be gratefully received

Andy

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Did you put a little air in the tube to give it some shape? A light smear of washing up liquid around the tyres bead can also help. They will go on with a tube, you just need to avoid pinching it with your tyre lever.
  • my experience with UST wheels has been that you only need to buy the tubeless valves, as the the rest of the wheel is built from the go for tubeless, but they have been Bontrager and Easton wheels, never used Shimano, but i assume they are likely to be similar ?

As previously stated soapy water is a godsend to getting tyres on !! especially when you go tubeless, as normally tubeless ready tyres are a real tight fit onto the rims for obvious reasons ! i assume the tyres you have are tubeless ready ?

cheers
    Neil
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You can buy a kit or a roll of Gorilla Tape, 2 tubeless valves and the latex sealant of your choice, this is the cheaper option and just as good.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shouldn't be needed for UST rims, in fact in theory you don't even need sealant (with UST tyres).

You don't want Gorilla tape with tubeless rims either, just make a hard to fit tyre even worse!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.