Short tour of Scotland

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited June 2015 in Tour & expedition
Heading off later today in camper van for 3 and a bit weeks touring the west coast. Doing Mull Sportive next weekend then heading to Mallaig and Skye for a few days. Applecross also on the plan (taking in Bealach na ba).
Other possible destinations are Glen Shiel (might do ratagan pass), Lochgilphead and Arran.

Any other must do rides that I may be able to fit in?

Steve.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Ardnamurchan Peninsula is a lovely there and back ride. Can also be combined with ferry to and from Mull.
  • tubaonwheels
    That is on the plan Mercia man, cheers. Done ride from Tyndrum today, down A85 the Glen Orchy (stunning) and back from Bridge of Orchy up the 5 mile climb into a headwind. Soaked and frozen! Can only get better... I hope.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I got soaked, frozen and midge-bitten when I rode Glencoe and Glen Orchy. You really are at the mercy of the elements cycling in Scotland. Weather forecast is perking up for the end of the week. I'm hoping to get up to Scotland with my camper van in a week or so.

Another possibility if you fancy an adventurous ride and have a reasonably robust bike is from Strontian to Glenfinnan along the eastern side of Loch Shiel. I set off from a campsite in the Strontian area, loaded up with four panniers, up a really steep hill, past Loch Doilet to Polloch and then alongside Loch Shiel on a gravel road. Rideable on a touring bike but you really are in the wilds. There's a road sign warning you of such just before the rough stuff starts.
  • tubaonwheels
    Best give that a miss on my new Trek domane.
  • tubaonwheels
    Loving the riding up here, only missed one day so far and that was Saturdays deluge/gales. Day before Mull sportive so happy to rest up. Ridden about 300 miles since 1st June and climbed about 16000 ft. loving every inch of it (well almost). Up at Arisaig now so will be a flat ride tomorrow, then Skye beckons :)
  • Sounds great, I've got some friends moving to Mull in a couple of weeks so hope to be up there to do a mini-tour at the end of summer 8)

Like the sound of the sportive too, maybe one for next year.