Mixing Q rings with Normal Rings

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Wondered if anyone else has tried this;

I have 2 Tarmacs - one has full Q's (50/34) the other No Q's. I can switch easily between the two bikes and can't feel any real difference in pedalling feel, even though when I very first rode Q rings I had burning thighs for the first 2 weeks.

So now I've just put a Q ring 36 on to replace the previous No Q, 34. The outer stays as a No Q, 50.

I reckon that Q's help me when out of the saddle, and I do that more in the small ring than the big, so reckon it makes sense to have the inner as a Q, but not necessarily the outer. Another advantage is that you don't have to touch the front mech as this is governed by the big ring.

Went for a longish ride today, seems to work quite well as a combo......

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Once I've tried that,I had good feeling but when looked at HR and time for climbing it look pretty bad.And the feeling on longer intervals was not that enjoyable as before.So decided to stick with full Q's until they worn out and then switch to normal rings.
    Had some feeling that I am pushing more than I should,but I kept going slow,like my legs pushed something else,not pedals.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    ivanoile wrote:
    Once I've tried that,I had good feeling but when looked at HR and time for climbing it look pretty bad.And the feeling on longer intervals was not that enjoyable as before.So decided to stick with full Q's until they worn out and then switch to normal rings.
    Had some feeling that I am pushing more than I should,but I kept going slow,like my legs pushed something else,not pedals.

Have you tried changing the OCP settings?
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Yes,but when mixing they were not enjoyable,don't understand why but I couldn't get max from Q nor noQ.