Wheel buying help

Herbie153
Herbie153 Posts: 19
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I've just bought myself a shiny new Argon 18 Krypton Frame. I intend to build this up with Ultegra groupset and components however my knowledge of wheels is limited as is my ever decreasing budget. (I think I've pushed the envelope with my wife buying this frame).

I mainly ride triathlon races, often challenging hilly courses and was looking at putting deep rim wheels on (20mm at the front ad 50 on the back) but looking for a starting point for buying.

Any advice and support would be warmly welcome

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    Are you going to be running 10 or 11 speed, and approx' what is your budget ?
  • Herbie153
    Thank you for that link, very helpful. Lots of info. I've since seen that people get fed up of wheel questions on here, apologies for clogging up the system.

Will be running 10 speed, 11-28.

Approximately budget £500 max, but thinking the sales this summer I could look beyond that budget a little bit.
  • Origami02
    These 32mm front, 46mm rear ten speed wheels are £399. Only available now with either silver or gold hubs though. http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... 4-hole.htm Rims are believed to be OEM Reynolds .
  • Herbie153
    They look very smart, anyone had experience of superstar components?

Also I'm not sure about the braking ability of full carbon wheels and whether I would be better placed buying alloy rims with molded carbon fairings?

There are some steep descents around us and it's not known to be the driest place in the world either.
  • Origami02
    I've got some SL23 wheels from SS which I'm pleased with.

These have Ali brake tracks but weigh way more than the SuperStars.. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPGIP6040/ ... r-wheelset
  • Herbie153
    Nice, Thank you. they are on the heavy side, but I'm not expecting everything from my budget!
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Origami02 wrote:
    These 32mm front, 46mm rear ten speed wheels are £399. Only available now with either silver or gold hubs though. http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... 4-hole.htm Rims are believed to be OEM Reynolds .

They are available even cheaper sometimes with codes. My mate got a pair for £320.

What is the origin behind the whole OEM Reynolds theory?
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Herbie153 wrote:
    They look very smart, anyone had experience of superstar .

Use search function and find and read the massive threads about superstar wheels before buying. I'm not saying don't buy but don't buy until you've read those threads.

EDIT - There you go, happy reading
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13006732&hilit=Superstar+wheels
  • Herbie153
    Thank you very much for all this help, certainly a lot to think about!