Cycle five cols in a week, Galibier, Izoard, Agnel, Granon &

gavinbay
gavinbay Posts: 144
Was not too sure they would do it this year, or at least include the Galibier.

But it's a great week of cycling and if you do every day you get a fabulous souvenir cycling jersey, and best of all it's free to do !!

They shut the road from 09:00 to Noon and the road is only open to cyclists with refreshments at the top.

This year they have introduced Risoul at the expense of Echelles (which was too short anyway).

Dates and Cols are

Au programme :
Du 29 juin au 3 juillet : les grands cols mythiques du nord du département !

- Lundi 29 juin : Col Agnel
- Mardi 30 juin : Col d’Izoard
- Mercredi 1er juillet : Montée de Risoul
- Jeudi 2 juillet : Col du Galibier
- Vendredi 3 juillet : Col du Granon

Du 24 au 28 août : les cols insoupçonnés du sud du département
- Lundi 24 août : Col de Pommerol
- Mardi 25 août : Montée de Chabre
- Mercredi 26 août : Mont Colombis
- Jeudi 27 août de 9h à 12h : Montée de Céuze
- Vendredi 28 août : Col du Noyer

More info here http://www.hautes-alpes.net/fr/ete/boug ... cyclo.html

And more info about cycling based in La Grave here and the current road closure.
http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/access-to-la-grave.html

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    GavinBay wrote:
    Was not too sure they would do it this year, or at least include the Galibier.

But it's a great week of cycling and if you do every day you get a fabulous souvenir cycling jersey, and best of all it's free to do !!

They shut the road from 09:00 to Noon and the road is only open to cyclists with refreshments at the top.

This year they have introduced Risoul at the expense of Echelles (which was too short anyway).

Dates and Cols are

Au programme :
    Du 29 juin au 3 juillet : les grands cols mythiques du nord du département !

- Lundi 29 juin : Col Agnel
    - Mardi 30 juin : Col d’Izoard
    - Mercredi 1er juillet : Montée de Risoul
    - Jeudi 2 juillet : Col du Galibier
    - Vendredi 3 juillet : Col du Granon

Du 24 au 28 août : les cols insoupçonnés du sud du département
    - Lundi 24 août : Col de Pommerol
    - Mardi 25 août : Montée de Chabre
    - Mercredi 26 août : Mont Colombis
    - Jeudi 27 août de 9h à 12h : Montée de Céuze
    - Vendredi 28 août : Col du Noyer

More info here http://www.hautes-alpes.net/fr/ete/boug ... cyclo.html

And more info about cycling based in La Grave here and the current road closure.
    http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/access-to-la-grave.html

Thanks but aren't they the dates for last year ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gavinbay
    Like I said this year they have included Risoul at the expense or Echelles.

These were the dates from last year

lundi 30 juin de 9h à 12 h : Col Agnel
    Le col Agnel sera fermé à la circulation motorisée de 9h à 12h côté France à partir du pont d’Ariane à Fontgillarde (Molines en Queyras).
    Il sera également fermé aux voitures côté Italie au pied du col.

mardi 1er juillet de 9h à 12 h : Col d’Izoard
    Le col d’Izoard sera fermé à la circulation motorisée de 9h à 12h côté Queyras à la sortie de Brunissard (Arvieux)
    Il sera également fermé côté Briançon, au lieu dit Le Laus (Cervières).

mercredi 2 juillet de 9h à 12 h : Col de l’Echelle
    Le col de l’Echelle sera fermé à la circulation motorisée de 9h à 12h au pied du col à la sortie de Névache
    Il sera également fermé côté Italie au niveau de la frontière.

jeudi 3 juillet de 9h à 12 h : Col du Galibier
    Le col du Galibier sera fermé à la circulation motorisée de 9h à 12h au pied du col au Lautaret.
    Il sera également fermé côté Savoie à la sortie de Valloire.

vendredi 4 juillet de 9h à 12 h : Col du Granon

And last years poster
    cols_2014_light.jpg
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    This looks quality, very temped! Thanks for the heads up.

Have you ridden one/both of the weeks before then? Are all the cols relatively near each other? Is it possible to stay in one location for the week and then ride them all or do you move around?
  • gavinbay
    jrich wrote:
    Have you ridden one/both of the weeks before then? Are all the cols relatively near each other? Is it possible to stay in one location for the week and then ride them all or do you move around?

I've done this on and off for the past three years, and last year was the first time I did every day and could not quite believe the quality of the cycling jersey at the end you get for doing every Col.

And last year had eight mates out for a stag party doing the Thurs and Fri and a big ride on the Saturday.

It's quite frustrating that they do not do more to publicise this as it is such a good week, and as I've said before it's not quite like the Etape or the Marmotte where you do have to put large amounts of training in as most Cols can be done in under a couple of hours from the starting point, and you really do get all types of cyclist doing it.

And if you time it right you can climb up reach the summit then go down the other side and then back up.

All these Cols can be done from staying near Briancon if you have drive out. I have a place in Serre Chevalier and for the Agnel I drive into the Queyras to Ville Vielle and cycle from there, all the others I cycle to from Serre though this year, Risoul I'll probably park up at Guillestre.

If you have any further logistical questions then feel free to ask.
  • gavinbay
    And just in from friends in La Grave who run a hotel there.

So Galibier is indeed off the list.

Bonjour,

Suite aux problèmes de circulation liés à la fermeture du tunnel du Chambon, les Départements de la Savoie et des Hautes-Alpes ont décidé d’annuler la manifestation cycliste « 1 jour 1 col / col réservé » au col du Galibier programmée le 2 juillet 2015. La route Départementale RD902 ne sera donc pas interdit à la circulation automobile le 2 juillet prochain.

Cordialement,
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Well that was one of the reasons why it appealed to me - it doesn't seem to be too much of a ridiculous proposition! (in terms of difficulty) For someone like me who has not ridden (road bikes) in the Apls before it could be quite a good introduction I would imagine?

I had best see if I can find some suitable accommodation. And some way of getting there! What would you expect the weather to be like in Briancon at the end of June? I've been to the Portes du Soleil (Morzine) around that time and it was spot on - sunny, 25/28 degrees but prone to the odd heavy rain shower. Is it a similar sort of scenario in that region?

Thanks very much for your advice.

With regards Galibier, they shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a replacement should they? Or will the cut it down to 4 days do you think?