First Audax - Anglesey Lanes

kelliano
kelliano Posts: 72
Looking forward to my first Audax, a week on Sunday, 7th June, anyone else entered for this ride?

104km, have completed a couple 60km+ rides, as well as many 40km, so hopefully put enough training in this spring, but it's relatively flat route. I have a feeling I'll be hooked after this ride.

Comments

• RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I'll be doing the Anglesey Wonderings 52Km, nursing a total beginner from work around on her first organised ride! I'm getting ready for the moaning at 20+miles ! :wink:
  • kelliano
    Weather looks as though it'll be fine come Sunday, so that's one plus!

Sunday, 07/06/2015
    00:00–06:00 Clear sky 11° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from west-southwest Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from west-southwest
    06:00–12:00 Partly cloudy 9° 0 – 0.2 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from west Light breeze, 3 m/s from west
    12:00–18:00 Clear sky 16° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from west-northwest Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from west-northwest
    19:00–01:00 Clear sky 16° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from northwest Gentle breeze, 6 m/s from northwest
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Remember the suncream and choc cake money!!
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    As someone who lives on Anglesey enjoy it! While there's no one big climb, it's rarely flat, I'd call it rolling :D

You'll have perfect weather for it.
  • kelliano
    Loved it. Bloody loved it.

Saturday was blowing a gale, but thankfully Sunday was very pleasant, great conditions for a great event.

Lucky enough to find myself within a small group early doors, two of which were using the Audax as a training ride, and from the Cart Café was riding with Holyhead CC. Made me feel welcome, always checking if I was ok if I found myself at the back of the group, and enhanced the experience greatly. Can't thank them enough even though I didn't take any names. Apologies.

Route very much rolling hills dilatory :)

Well run event. Great route. Great weather...next one please!
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I like riding in Anglesey, I visit family in Amlwch a few times a year and have started taking my bike with me now for a cheeky blast. There doesn't appear to be anything flat at all, all ups and downs but nothing steep anywhere I've been so far. I find it really rewarding to ride because you can blast up the hills and use the next down to get the impetus for the next inevitable up!

I'm beginning to get to know the island far better than I did and noticed a lot of new tarmac the other week when I was up there. I believe it's being laid for the first stage of the ToB or so I was told. I don't suppose you have a link to the route you went on do you, I could do with some inspiration!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Saved!

Thanks kelliano, much appreciated. I've done some of those roads before but there are quite a few new areas to explore, cheers.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    llanddona beach has 3 good steep climbs if you want some climbing
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4880322 is 35%
    i need more bikes