Jamis Renegade Elite vs. Boardman CXR 9.8 Custom Build

Dazza993
Dazza993 Posts: 99
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm planning an upgrade to my wet weather/winter bike which is currently a Boardman CX Team. It's been a sound bike and ideal for winter riding and a recent Coast-to-Coast event. What drew me to the CX Team in the first place was the ability to fit mudguards and a pannier rack due to the eyelets, plus disc brakes and the ability to fit fat tyres. A low 34/32 gearing gets me up those lumpy hills too.

Upgrade options are down to two.

1. A custom build, using a Boardman CXR 9.8 frameset (the 2014 model with QRs not the latest thru-axle), using Velocity Aileron rims on Novatec hubs, Shimano RS685 shifters and hydraulic brakes, Ultegra derailleurs, SL-K Light crank that I've been using on the CX-Team and selected bits of finishing kit.
FYI - The hand built wheels for the CXR wouldn't be done by myself.

2. Jamis Renegade Elite.

I was all set on option 1, but almost by accident stumbled on the Jamis when looking for bits for the CXR build. A road.cc review raves about the Jamis bike and the spec is very close to what I had planned for the CXR build.
Weights will be very similar at around 8.5kg each, so too price at around the £2k mark.

I rarely have the need for a pannier rack but I know that Renegade can definitely take one, I'm less sure that the CXR 9.8 frame can - but mudguards can be fitted to both which is an essential requirement.

The ready built bike is somewhat a safe option and removes the risk of me ballsing up the CXR build myself.
The Jamis bikes are exclusive to Evans, so you may have your own opinions about them but it does make any warranty issues easier too.

I'd need to change the cassette on the Jamis to a 11-32 and possibly the front chainrings to 34/50 whereas the CXR build specification would be spot-on from the off.

Is undertaking the build of a CXR myself a bad idea? I'm capable enough of servicing my current bikes and have the tools needed, except for the cutting of the steerer tube, but Youtube/Google is always to hand.

Jamis seems like a big US brand and I get the feel of more R&D investment than what I sense from Boardman as a brand. That may not be true, but that's my perception.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, recommendations or tales of experience.
Thanks in advance...

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'd assume they have different geometries and the Jamis will ride better on the road than the Boardman's cross geometry?

I haven't checked but you'd expect the Jamis to have a bigger BB drop like a road bike, and the Boardman a smaller drop (and therefore higher BB) which affects how the bike handles and feels.

oh and there are lots of other options.. the GT Grade gets great reviews, the Specialized Diverge is one to look at as well.
  • Dazza993
    I've taken a quick look at the Grade and the Diverge and I don't see them offering much more other than a higher price - quite a bit in the case of the Specialized. Mudguards would fit on both, and ideally I'd have internally routed cables, something the GT Grade doesn't have.

From an aesthetics point, the battleship grey on the Diverge/Grade doesn't really float my boat either.

£2k is my absolute limit, and the Renegade Elite hits this with the current trade-in offer that Evans are doing at the moment.

You're right about the BB drop - only 7mm in it (65 CXR & 72 Renegade) - I really have no idea how that translates into ride. My current CX Team also has a 65mm BB drop and I'm happy enough with how that rides - which is predominantly on-road.

Cheers for the feedback though.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Obviously there are other variables to consider, but its worth thinking about the geometry:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/02/the-geometry-of-bike-handling/
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/bottom-bracket-height-dropping-in-cyclocross-bike-geometries

Its also worth investigating whether Evans will let you test ride the Jamis?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The lower specced Renegade Expert caught my eye as well, looks excellent value at under £1300.

I really want to replace my heavy steel winter/commuter (also a Jamis), which has served me admirably, but I want to get something with disc brakes that would be light enough for Sportive/Hills duty as well. I already have lightweight(ish) CF Scott CR1, but now have a custom steel frame on order, so the plan is to have this as my 'Show Pony' and have the Jamis as the workhorse - and sell both the steel Jamis and the Scott CR1. I really only have room for two bikes (I know, N+1 and all that...).

Then again, I change my mind every week so...

The point being (at last!) having already purchased a Jamis from Evans before, I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. When I got the Satellite (the current steely), I remember they ordered in two different sizes, and sent back the one I didn't need. I'm pretty sure they would do a test ride as well:

If you pop into any of our stores (or give them a call), they can order in a bike for you to test ride.
  • Dazza993
    Then again, I change my mind every week so...

I fully agree with the above statement. As of this exact minute I'm swayed towards the more road biased Renegade after reading the geometry related articles from the links posted by ALIHISGREAT (thankyou)

I suspect I'll change my mind before the day is out.

I'm certain Evans will allow a test ride. I know you can pay a £50 refundable deposit for them to get a bike in to evaluate. That said I want to order one online to collect in store, so as to benefit from using a cash-back site (£70 cashback on a £2k spend isn't to be sniffed at)

I spoke to their customer services last night and even if I order online to collect in store I can get a refund if I don't want/like the bike. I assume a quick pedal around the car park would be permitted before final commitment.