Road 'Selling' advice

crimpshrine
crimpshrine Posts: 37
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks. Just a quick one here. I have a really nice build on a Ribble R872 that I have decided to sell on. Full Sram RED, Dura Ace wheelset and Easton carbon finishing kit. It is mint and hardly used (under 100 miles)

Now my question is would I be better to split down into individual components for selling? I expect I would get about the same amount, maybe slightly more for the individual bits on this particular bike.. and apart from the frame itself it will be all fairly easy stuff for shipping.

What would you recommend.. splitting or keeping as one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it really worth all the hassle if you are just going to get slightly more?

Is this a genuine question, or a sneaky bit of advertising?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    To be honest, speaking from experience, i doubt you will get back what you paid for the bike, despite how few miles are on it. The warranty is unlikely to be transferable so if someone can get the same bike for a similar amount of money with warranty they would always choose this option.
    Even if you split it you then have shipping costs and other fees (if you use paypal and ebay).

Given the time of year and with the grand tours starting (so people enticed to ride), you might stand a better chance of getting more by selling the whole bike as one and asking for cash on delivery.

Best of luck
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Rule of thumb - no matter how great the condition, you're selling a "used" item, and should not expect more than 70% of the lowest price it can be found for new. Just the way it goes, particularly as has been said, as there is no warranty for a second user. Do your homework on "sold" prices on the likes of eBAy, or here, then pitch your price.

Also shipping a whole bike can help a sale (cash on collection just limits your market to people who are close by, as the bike is not going to be that special or unusual), and can be done for resonable money (See P4D for example)
  • crimpshrine
    crimpshrine Posts: 37
    Thanks for the replies. No advertising intended was just asking a genuine question but thought it would help to list what I had.

The reason that I had thought of doing it this way was I thought it would be easier in a way as expected it would be expensive and tricky to ship a whole bike. As I built it myself I do not really have a large suitable box it would all fit in!

I will have a look as postage options and see how that works out. Can you buy cardboard boxes for bikes anywhere?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Most LBS will give you a box.
  • freestyle_gus
    freestyle_gus Posts: 120
    Thanks for the replies. No advertising intended was just asking a genuine question but thought it would help to list what I had.

The reason that I had thought of doing it this way was I thought it would be easier in a way as expected it would be expensive and tricky to ship a whole bike. As I built it myself I do not really have a large suitable box it would all fit in!

I will have a look as postage options and see how that works out. Can you buy cardboard boxes for bikes anywhere?

I've seen them listed on ebay - like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Bicycle- ... 4aea8f8df5

There's a few companies that will deliver it, a quick google throws up several options up. Looks like it will cost around £25.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Selling the whole bike will be easier of course. The best reason to split is because you want to keep (some of) the components for your own use at some point.

I'd ask local bike shops for bike boxes. I posted a bike for for twenty something pounds a year or two ago - parcel monkey I think...?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    lesfirth wrote:
    Most LBS will give you a box.

Lol they can't wait to get rid of them, and I was offered a selection!