Vittoria XG Pro, difference between TNT?

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited June 2015 in Cyclocross
After pinch flatting both wheels on the first lap of tonights race (totally gutted) I need to go tubeless.

I have a pair of Vittoria XG Pro folding in the garage but I know they do a TNT Tubeless version. What is the difference between the two and will the normal folding tyres work in a tubeless setup? Wheels will be kinesis crosslight v3

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    I've gone tubeless with both. The difference is that the TNT is air tight and has bigger beads... it is also reinforced in the sidewall. The non TNT can be converted to go tubeless, but you need more sealant, as this will firstly make the tyre airtight and secondly do its usual puncture fixing job... I'd say 60 ml per tyre will sort you out
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I think the non-TNT have a higher thread count, and therefore a slightly more supple sidewall; in theory this might make them perform slightly better, at the cost of being slightly harder to set up in the first place (or possible slightly less reliable). In practice though, I suspect the difference is negligible; the ones you have will be fine (and way better than your old setup with inner tubes).

Be warned: It is possible to pinch flat tubeless tyres, it's just a lot harder.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ravey1981
    Thanks for the advice guys I will get them set up asap.
  • ravey1981
    Tubeless setup done. Put them on a new pair of kinesis v3s. The job was pretty straightforward, needed a couple of wraps of electrical tape on top of the stans tape to tighten up the rim strip a bit and I had to used the airline to pop the beads into place, track pump wouldn't do the job. New wheels including tyres etc save me 700g on my previous setup. Pretty pleased with that, and hopefully less chance of punctures!

BY1jNGq.jpg