Mortirolo and Stelvio on Granfondo Stelvio

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
I'm going out to do the Granfondo Stelvio in 10 days time. Its fair to say I'm a bit scared! I went round the Tour of Wessex ok this last weekend on a 34-25 but will be riding a 34-28 at the Stelvio. I'm a moderate sort of climber, but hope that that will be ok - any advice or reassurance?

I know that the route will be well signed and that there will be kilometre markers on the climbs, but I always find it helpful to see the gradient, metres to go etc. on my Garmin. Does anyone know if there is a gpx route out there that I can use? Or can anyone confirm if the climb of the Mortirolo is this route? I guess that the Stelvio climb is this one?

And any other advice about pacing, feed stops etc from previous riders would be more than welcome!

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Did the event a few years ago.

Great atmosphere. Great fun. The routes are on the web and the one you posted is not the one. That has a maximum incline is 18% and is for wussies like Contador. The Grandfondo goes up the cattle track option which max's out at 24%.

There are only 3 major climbs.

Teglio: Just like doing Leith Hill but 50% longer. Its the first one you come to and you will get carried along with the others.

Mortirolo. A real slog, there is a food stop at the bottom and worth getting a drink in and get yourself feeling OK. Most Italian club riders miss it out so the road empties. IIRC it is approximately 11% for 10k, levels off for 1km and then kicks up to 24%. I tried with 34/28 and failed. Had to walk for 50m-100m. If you are changing cassette especially get a 12-32.

You can see the kick up coming and at the same time to changing gradient it changes surface to rough concrete so make sure you are relaxed and start a run up before the change in surface. I used the change as a 'start line' and didn't have any residual speed due to a shock in the change of surface.

Stelvio - fine just keep going steady. Its long and steady. There may well be snow at the top but by then you are warm enough. I had walls of white next to me and ice on the road but just kept plugging away and never felt cold even with just a jersey, shorts and one baselayer. Make sure your bag is full of warm stuff for descent and change quickly.
  • topcattim
    izza wrote:
    Did the event a few years ago.

Great atmosphere. Great fun. The routes are on the web and the one you posted is not the one. That has a maximum incline is 18% and is for wussies like Contador. The Grandfondo goes up the cattle track option which max's out at 24%.

There are only 3 major climbs.

Teglio: Just like doing Leith Hill but 50% longer. Its the first one you come to and you will get carried along with the others.

Mortirolo. A real slog, there is a food stop at the bottom and worth getting a drink in and get yourself feeling OK. Most Italian club riders miss it out so the road empties. IIRC it is approximately 11% for 10k, levels off for 1km and then kicks up to 24%. I tried with 34/28 and failed. Had to walk for 50m-100m. If you are changing cassette especially get a 12-32.

You can see the kick up coming and at the same time to changing gradient it changes surface to rough concrete so make sure you are relaxed and start a run up before the change in surface. I used the change as a 'start line' and didn't have any residual speed due to a shock in the change of surface.

Stelvio - fine just keep going steady. Its long and steady. There may well be snow at the top but by then you are warm enough. I had walls of white next to me and ice on the road but just kept plugging away and never felt cold even with just a jersey, shorts and one baselayer. Make sure your bag is full of warm stuff for descent and change quickly.
    Izza, that is all really helpful, thanks (apart from the reminder about the 24% :? ) I think I may well take your advice about a 32 - there were times on the Quantocks or Exmoor climbs this last weekend when I looked lovingly over at 32s on other people's wheels. Funny, in Hampshire, I've never once felt undergeared at 25!
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    So it sounds like the 36 28 I was goint to use is a little long? I'll probably switch in an old compact chainset and go for 34 28, and hope I don't have to take the walk of shame.
  • topcattim
    Term1te wrote:
    So it sounds like the 36 28 I was goint to use is a little long? I'll probably switch in an old compact chainset and go for 34 28, and hope I don't have to take the walk of shame.
    Term1te, knowing your goat-like tendencies, I think you'll be good for a 34-28. Me, I'm eyeing up a 34-32 and a long cage mech....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    The Mortirolo from Mazzo is one of the top three climbs in Europe for gradient, among the famous ones... it is a beast... get the smallest gear you can possibly fit.
    Stelvio is not as steep, but twice as long, so again you need something that keeps your legs spinning for the two hours it gets to go up there. Altitude is also a problem, over 2000 mt most likely you will lose 20-30% of your climbing pace. 34 x 32 is necessary if you are not a 60 Kg mountain goat
    left the forum March 2023
  • izza
    The Mortirolo from Mazzo is one of the top three climbs in Europe for gradient, among the famous ones... it is a beast... get the smallest gear you can possibly fit.
    Stelvio is not as steep, but twice as long, so again you need something that keeps your legs spinning for the two hours it gets to go up there. Altitude is also a problem, over 2000 mt most likely you will lose 20-30% of your climbing pace. 34 x 32 is necessary if you are not a 60 Kg mountain goat

With the Stelvio, it levelled off at the higher levels except for the very last km. At that point, gritted teeth and adrenaline kick in as the finish is in sight.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    My thighs and lungs hurt just watching the pros on the Mortirolo on Tuesday. Good luck. Enjoy...
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    The Stelvio is a smashing climb if you've got good legs, but having a good number of miles plus the Mortirolo in you it will be a big challenge. I suffered all kinds of misery on the Mortirolo. Far and away the hardest climb I've ever done (as a 58kg 'mountain goat'). I rode it in the mid-day sun with the Gavia in my legs though so it might be more bareable a bit earlier on in a ride. Very hard indeed though.

Will be a cracking ride though. The Mortirolo isn't a very pretty climb, but the views on the Stelvio are breathtaking. If you can, try and do it before the event as a sightseeing ride that you can stop on and take pictures. The Gavia is equally stunning if you're nearby and had some time.
  • topcattim
    phreak wrote:
    The Stelvio is a smashing climb if you've got good legs, but having a good number of miles plus the Mortirolo in you it will be a big challenge. I suffered all kinds of misery on the Mortirolo. Far and away the hardest climb I've ever done (as a 58kg 'mountain goat'). I rode it in the mid-day sun with the Gavia in my legs though so it might be more bareable a bit earlier on in a ride. Very hard indeed though.

Will be a cracking ride though. The Mortirolo isn't a very pretty climb, but the views on the Stelvio are breathtaking. If you can, try and do it before the event as a sightseeing ride that you can stop on and take pictures. The Gavia is equally stunning if you're nearby and had some time.
    Blimey, I was hoping that this would be of a similar level of difficulty to the Marmotte. Sounds like it is much harder! I'll be glad of my 34-32 then.
    Surprised to hear you say that the Mortirolo wasn't very pretty - it looked lovely on the Giro the other day.
  • phreak
    topcattim wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Blimey, I was hoping that this would be of a similar level of difficulty to the Marmotte. Sounds like it is much harder! I'll be glad of my 34-32 then.
    Surprised to hear you say that the Mortirolo wasn't very pretty - it looked lovely on the Giro the other day.

I didn't find it all that pretty :lol: Whereas the Gavia and Stelvio are often open and therefore have incredible views, the Mortirolo is mainly wooded so the views aren't really up to much.

It's tricky because the gradient changes quite so much. The Stelvio (or even climbs like the Giau or Alp d'Huez) are ok because you can get into a bit of a rhythm and tap them out, but it isn't so easy on the Mortirolo.

I've done the Stelvio in 1h50m (Prato side), and the Mortirolo didn't take much less. A slow old drag. Of course, if you have a decent gear and can spin up it at 80 rpm or so then I'm sure it's fine, but budget for maybe an average speed of 7/8 kmh.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Also doing the ride and wondering what the rest of the ride is like outside the three climbs. Concerned how much I'll have left when I get to Stelvio as thats the one I really want to nail!

Already bought my 32 cassette and cage!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    SoSimple wrote:
    Also doing the ride and wondering what the rest of the ride is like outside the three climbs. Concerned how much I'll have left when I get to Stelvio as thats the one I really want to nail!

Already bought my 32 cassette and cage!

After the Mortirolo you'll feel like someone is hammering nails in your legs, don't think you'll have much power left to "nail" anything
    left the forum March 2023
  • topcattim
    izza wrote:
    Great video, Izza. Thanks for posting. Getting more and more excited!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I read that Contador was using 34/30 for the Mortirolo stage the other day. Fortunately Basso was on the same rear gearing so when he donated his wheel Alberto maintained that gearing.
  • term1te
    izza wrote:

Yes, thanks for the link, much better than the one I'd found on the Elite E-training app. Very much looking forward to riding it next week, lets hope the weather is good.
  • izza
    When I did it the weather was pleasant down in the valley. Not too warm so perfect for climbing.

At the top of the Stelvio it was snow and ice. Recommend you dress light. Despite the snow/ice, by then I was putting out a steady tempo and thus didn't feel it. As soon as you cross the line, dive into the large tent and get wrapped up warmly and then get down to bottom quickly.

I suffer from vertigo so took the bus down. Probably could have gone down on bike but didn't like the tunnels or poor tarmac near the tunnels. Felt I was too tired to talk myself out of a panic attack.
  • topcattim
    izza wrote:
    When I did it the weather was pleasant down in the valley. Not too warm so perfect for climbing.

At the top of the Stelvio it was snow and ice. Recommend you dress light. Despite the snow/ice, by then I was putting out a steady tempo and thus didn't feel it. As soon as you cross the line, dive into the large tent and get wrapped up warmly and then get down to bottom quickly.

I suffer from vertigo so took the bus down. Probably could have gone down on bike but didn't like the tunnels or poor tarmac near the tunnels. Felt I was too tired to talk myself out of a panic attack.
    Izza, what are the practical arrangements? Can you send a bag up to the top of the climb with some warmer stuff for the descent, or is it a matter of carry it up and wear it down?
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    You get a race bag and can put warm gear in there and collect it at the finish. Just bear in mind whatever you put in the bag you either need to wear, carry back down...or ditch!
  • phreak
    If you're going straight down from the top then you'll probably be ok with a base layer, jersey, arm warmers, some long finger gloves and maybe a newspaper down your jersey. I've done that in the snow at the top and it was ok. Not toasty warm but fine to get you back down.

The difficulty comes if you stop for any length of time at the top to eat etc. as your body temp will fall and it's a bit harder to stay warm then.
  • topcattim
    SoSimple wrote:
    You get a race bag and can put warm gear in there and collect it at the finish. Just bear in mind whatever you put in the bag you either need to wear, carry back down...or ditch!
    phreak wrote:
    If you're going straight down from the top then you'll probably be ok with a base layer, jersey, arm warmers, some long finger gloves and maybe a newspaper down your jersey. I've done that in the snow at the top and it was ok. Not toasty warm but fine to get you back down.

The difficulty comes if you stop for any length of time at the top to eat etc. as your body temp will fall and it's a bit harder to stay warm then.

Thanks both - all this advice is much appreciated. Must remember to pack the long finger gloves!
  • phreak
    I used some glove liners as they squeeze down super small, yet keep the wind off the fingers ok. They did the trick.
  • izza
    At the start of the event are parked some mini buses. Just throw your bag in and join the other starters.

Very easy.
  • term1te
    We just drove over the Umbrail and Stelvio passes to get to Bormio for Sunday's GF. That is one big hill :shock: Both sides of the Stelvio tomorrow to warm up. Then a rest day on Saturday before the main event.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    What to wear what to wear

The weather forecast is warm but thunderstorms and high chance of rain. I'm thinking just normal jersey and shorts with a packable waterproof. Anyone have a better plan? I'm not used to this hot foreign stormy weather. Bit worried about a 7+ hour ride in perpetual rain storms.....

I'm gonna take a gabba and winter gloves for the stelvio descent back to the hotel.
  • petemadoc
    Well.... that was hard!
  • phreak
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Well.... that was hard!

:lol: Hope you had fun though?
  • term1te
    What a great day out that was. Good weather, well martialled, beautiful scenery, dodgy roads to keep you on your toes, and 4000m of climbing. There were people walking about in ski boots at the finish.

It was bar far the best run cycling event I've participated in, excellent organisation from beginning to end, can't fault it at all. Free beer with the pasta party, need I say more?

I was pleased with my time, but it was the hardest day on a bike I've every had. Not as much climbing as the Marmotte, but you wouldn't have guessed it, and there were real marmots near the top of the Stelvio.

I'm looking forward to doing it again some time.
  • petemadoc
    I'd totally echo what Term1te said about organisation. Truely fantastic, roads closed for the first 10 miles or so but it felt like we had the roads to ourselves for the first 50 miles and even then marshals were stopping the traffic. Very impressed by the convoy system bringing cars down the stelvio at a sensible speed, massive Bravo to the organisers.

The ride itself - I was very glad of the warning about the Mortirolo and that farm / gravel track towards the end, that was brutal and had I not known I think I would thought it was some sort of cruel joke. I'm pleased with myself for not unclipping and making it to the top.

Stelvio was hard but only because I was already cream crackered. I'd love to give it another go with fresh legs! I got into real trouble about 2km in, my garmin was showing the temperature at nearly 38 degrees, I was getting goose bumps and a weird tingling sensation in my head and so started worrying about heat exhaustion. Had a stop in the shade, let my heart rate drop a bit and slowly made my way to the top, the temperature dropped which was a big help.

7.55 total time, 7.31 moving time

Really felt like you were part of something, great event. Would like to go back with some better training and lower gears.
  • phreak
    Congratulations to you both :)