seatpost choice

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Going to splash out on a new seatpost as my old one is scratched to bvggery, is heavy and even with carbon friction paste my saddle keeps slipping in my current clamp. Although, honestly that is just excuses - I want a lighter snazzier post and I have a bit of spare cash so may as well.

I'm either going to get a KCNC SC layback pro or a thompson masterpiece layback, because of discounts they are both the same price. I was all set on the KCNC one till I saw the price of the thomson. KCNC weight is 170g, Thomson is 192g.

Save 22g or get the reliability reassurance of a Thomson?? My current seatpost is almost 400g so it will be a big saving anyway. plus I've bought a lighter, non-QR clamp saving ~30g too.

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have the KCNC and have had no problems a few friends have one too and nobody has reported any problems.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheap Chinese one piece carbon for a lot less money?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd have a Thomson.
  • Ferrals
    CHeers WindyG, agree I've only heard good things about them.

Rookie, don't want carbon, as I think I've said before, not because I think carbon is unreliable, but because I am ham-fisted.

Chunkers, I'm coming to that conclusion, if only because, should I decide I don't like/want it, the re-sale value will be higher.

Am going to re-weigh my current post again after work to make sure I got the weight right to assess relative weight saving.
  • WindyG
    Ferrals how much have you seen the KCNC one for?
    I got mine from Germany for around £60
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Ferrals wrote:
    CHeers WindyG, agree I've only heard good things about them.

Rookie, don't want carbon, as I think I've said before, not because I think carbon is unreliable, but because I am ham-fisted.

£15 isn't expensive
  • Ferrals
    WindyG wrote:
    Ferrals how much have you seen the KCNC one for?
    I got mine from Germany for around £60
    I've seen them on ebay for that but £85 from 'real' shops, bit dubious about the ebay ones though. Will look at the German shops. Can get the Thomson for £85 too as I have a couple of crc codes to use.
  • WindyG
    I got mine from Bike24, looks like they have gone up a little in price on the latest versions.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got a few Thomson posts 27.2 - 31.6 they're nicely made as you might expect from Thomson but like everything else Thomson they're incredibly stiff

People go on about seatpost flex and it's something I'd never really thought about but you'll definitely know there's a Thomson seatpost in there esp 31.6 on a HT
  • Ferrals
    just ordered the KCNC one, decided I prefered the 'standard' look of it and as they are both good and light figured I'd go with that.