hi, I'm new to MTB, stop me wasting money...

dixonj4
dixonj4 Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in MTB beginners
hi all, I'm new to this MTB lark - I recently bought a 2nd hand Voodoo Hoodoo simply to use round the local park/trails in an attempt to keep fit. However I've discovered I actually really enjoy it - and have begun to explore a little bit more difficult terrain in and around woodland near me. The other evening I got chatting to a fella who wasn't short of a bob or two, out on his bike. He had all the gear - head to toe, plus a self-built bike that he'd spent £3k on. It had all the gadgets, and I was drooling. Now, do I NEED a dropper seat post? Do I NEED some lightweight agressive style pedals? Do I NEED tubeless tyres and lightweight rims? Do I NEED a single front sprocket that has thick & thin teeth to match my chain? Or would I end up spending money and regret it/get in trouble with the Mrs? As I said at the beginning, I'm mainly trails and woodland at the moment - 43yrs old so can't forsee any 50k difficult terrain rides in the near future, so should I leave the bike as it is? I like to think I'd eventually advance a little, to more demanding rides, but nothing killer. I like the idea of the dropper seat post (what should I be looking for?). What's the crack with the single front sprocket? thanks for preventing a newbie from wasting some pennies :D

Comments

• neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    I wouldnt go to mad to start with, none of the above is needed in my eyes when starting out. I would see how you go and tweak the bike to your liking over time.

I will add I am not expert and only done some light trials at present on my Cube Attention 27.5, the only thing that bugs me on mine at present is the pedals.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    I'd just ride your existing bike a bit more - eventually you will decide what kind of riding you want to do and THEN make the decisions about what to get. If you are going to ride xc, long- days out then lightness is great to have. If you are doing trail centres you'll need something different etc etc. Whatever bike/kit you have there will always be somebody who can boast a lighter this, a stronger that but not of it is essential
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a dozen or so bikes, including some quite nice ones, but the one I am enjoying the most at the moment is an old Kona Explosif, with 2" of travel, rim brakes, albeit hydraulic, and not even a QR seatclamp. I built it up out of random spares I had, plus some bits I bought, and it owes me about £200 (including some new Kronos springs from the USA to replace the rather cr4p elastomers in the forks.)
    You don't need fancy kit to have fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Need and want are very different things :)

Firstly why do you want any of those things?

I recently swapped to narrow wide chainring 1x10 setup, but I had good reason (well I had a good excuse), drivetrain was worn, front mech was doing my head in (never right). Had crappy shifters etc. etc. So swapping it out made good sense at the time.

Ended up needing new brakes... long story short I now have two bikes :)

What do you not like about your current bike?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You certainly don't NEED any of those things, some are nice to have and some I wouldn't use if you gave them to me as they don't suite me/my usage.

Ride the bike, see what you do and don't like doing, see where it works fine and see where it doesn't, consider rectifying the "doesn'ts" at a suitable time, like when a part is worn out anyway so you have to fund a replacement of some kind or another or it's Christmas and you need some ideas for presents for people to buy you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    Don't buy an Orange Five. They can't change gear.
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would ride the bike and save your money. If you really get into mountain biking you can get good second hand bikes that cost over £1000 new for around £500, much better value for money than upgrades.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    As has been said, you don't need any of them.

I have the same bike as my second bike and really enjoy riding it. I have changed the pedals, saddle, stem, bars and grips but that's all personal preference and apart from the pedals I had all the parts.

My advice would be to just get out and enjoy riding what is a great bike for its price and either replace things when they break or when you know they aren't suited to what you want.

Hope this helps
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    M9DBO wrote:

Surely thats more an issue with the mech/derailer than the entire bike.

I would get a bike you feel comfortable on ride it for a few months get used to it an then look at what needs doing. What may be annoying to start with may turn out to be fine when your used to it, like saddles. Mine was uncomfortable even after breaking it in. So swapped it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    M9DBO wrote:
    Said everybody in Sheffield.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dixonj4
    dixonj4 Posts: 3
    thanks for all the replies folks - so yeah I should stick with what I've got for now, see how I get on.

Daniel_Owen_UK - why? probably because of envy really....no real need I guess.

Kajjal - excellent idea - never crossed my mind. I'm not fussed about shiny shiny so another 2nd hand bike is no problem.

I didn't spend too much on the Voodoo as I wasn't sure I'd use it much anyway. Now I realise I enjoy it so much, I maybe will notice what bothers me and what doesn't so could take my time and change the things I need to change, regardless of how cool other things look :)

Really appreciate the suggestions everyone, thanks!
  • I suppose my evolution on mtbs is probably similar to most, started as a kid with BSO got to an age where I could afford something more respectable.

Bought a bottom end hardtail, riding progressed and felt I was limited by the cheap shock, upgraded that, wanted some lighter wheels, go those etc etc.

Second hand upgrades can be had without spending silly money.