SRAM Red 22 - Using all the gears

dmockus
dmockus Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Workshop
I am interested in your experiences using SRAM's Red 22. Have you actually managed to set it up so you can use all 11 gears on either of the front rings without any chain rub?

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the front derailleur mechanics. Even when I seemingly get it right in home conditions (i.e. no chain rub on any gears while bike is on a repair stand), I get a lot of rub when putting real force on the cranks while riding, especially on the larger cogs while in the big ring at the front.

Is the optimal set up actually achievable to someone who isn't a professional mechanic?

Thanks.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,174
    was it installed correctly? from what i've heard if not then it's not so easy to adjust it afterwards

frame geometry and stiffness are factors as well, in this case if you are only getting chain rub under higher load then it sounds like something is flexing, in which case it's not the front mech alignment that's the issue
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dmockus
    dmockus Posts: 3
    Thanks, sungod.

The bike is a Trek Emonda SLR, which is known to be pretty stiff, though I can clearly see some flex in the frame (and/or chain rings) in the bottom bracket area when pedaling hard. Are you saying there shouldn't be any frame flex whatsoever? I used to ride an aluminum frame (Cannondale Caad9) before I got this bike and it felt stiff like a rock. But the Emonda frame feels generally more flexible. I thought that was expected for a carbon frame but I could be wrong.

Also - is there anyone who actually rides with SRAM Red 22 and could share their experiences?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Not Red 22, but I have 10 speed Red and can use all gears without rubbing (the only one I'm not 100% sure about is 34/11 because I don't think I've ever used it). The FD is tricky to get absolutely right, the SRAM technical videos on YouTube are very good. I'm assuming the Red 22 FD is the same as the 10 speed?

I do have it on a Scott Foil though which are very stiff, whether that makes a difference I don't know. My mate has Red 22 on a Synapse Hi Mod, and that definitely doesn't rub in big-big as he cross chains on climbs all the time. I'm not sure about other combinations though.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    My Force 22 is absolutely perfect. No rub when cross chained. Its fitted on a factory Focus Izalco.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Force 22 and Red 22 and no probs. Any cross chaining noise on mine is from the q rings as opposed to the chain clashing with the mech.