Clicking/ticking rear wheel

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I've had a problem with one of my rear wheels for a few weeks. It's an Archetype on an Ambrosia Zenith hub, 28h. I've swapped the wheel between bikes and noise is the same, so it's definitely the wheel. It's there in/out of the saddle, in both chainrings and all sprockets.

It started as a clicking/ticking noise, then last weekend it was joined by a fairly loud creaking noise. I lubed the nipples and where the spokes cross and the creaking has stopped but the ticking is still there. The tick is mainly under heavy effort/climbing but you can hear it on the flat sometimes too. It's not regular, ie not once per pedal or wheel revolution. The wheel is running true and I can't feel any loose spokes. Although, as you can probably guess, I'm no expert.

So is it likely spoke tension? Or the hub?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Hub bearings, most likely
    left the forum March 2023
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Had this with my Fulcrum Racing 3's just last week. Turned out it mainly related to the bearings for the freehub being completed shot, and the was therefore a bit of movement with the freehub. Under load, this movement was creating a creak. On opening up and checking the water that gotten in and destroyed the freehub bearings had also managed to start on the hub bearings too.

Needed a full strip down, clean, regrease and I had to replace the cartridge bearings in the freehub (using a socket and vice / and headset press). Worked a treat. Rear wheel is now quiet, but now my headset has started making noises ... ah, the joys of bike maintenance.
  • OK, thanks.
  • Hub bearings replaced, noise is still there! I hate bikes. :shock:

The three pawls on the freehub seemed a bit sticky when I looked at them. The mechanic agreed. We both cleaned and lubed them. They seem to be OK now with the freehub off but could they still be the problem?

If not, the problem must be the freehub bearings?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Hub bearings replaced, noise is still there! I hate bikes. :shock:

The three pawls on the freehub seemed a bit sticky when I looked at them. The mechanic agreed. We both cleaned and lubed them. They seem to be OK now with the freehub off but could they still be the problem?

If not, the problem must be the freehub bearings?

Bearings tell you if they need changing. You spin them with your finger and they feel rough. Do the bearings in your freehub feel rough?
    Diagnosis of the problem is pretty simple
    left the forum March 2023
  • No, the freehub is smooth.
  • Hub and freehub bearings changed now changed, pawls checked again by the wheelbuilder (only brought him the freehub as I couldn't bring the wheel) and the noise is still there. Click click click! So ... driveside spoke tension?