Zipp 60s thoughts?

Sam85
Sam85 Posts: 16
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I know wheel threads seems to be the bane of this forum but....

Has anyone anyone any experience with these wheels. I'm very interested, but there seems to be very little in the way of reviews or even forum posts about them anywhere. I'm particularly interested in their longevity and required maintenance, they will however very much be my 'summer wheels' but would welcome any general views\concerns\reviews regarding them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi Sam

What bike will these be fitted on?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Sam85
    They will be fitted to a look 675 light currently with mavic askiums fitted.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    They're basically the same as the SRAM S60's of years past, it says they have a wide rim but the brake track is extremely narrow and unless you use a narrow tyre you won't get the smooth airflow of rim to tyre, plus you lose out on the benefit of rolling a wide tyre into the corners.

In the same vein I'm going to move my Cosmic Carbones to my summer bike and look for something like HED Jet 5's to put on my triathlon bike where fearless high-speed cornering is of paramount importance.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    They're over 1800grams. Get something better for the same money and put some Zipp stickers on if you want, or, if you don't race then get some wheels that aren't deep section at all (perhaps do that even if you do race).
  • Sam85
    mfin wrote:
    They're over 1800grams. Get something better for the same money and put some Zipp stickers on if you want, or, if you don't race then get some wheels that aren't deep section at all (perhaps do that even if you do race).

I don't race. The weight was something I was slightly concerned about to be fair. I wouldn't be remotely interested in putting stickers on anything lol. What 'something better' do you recommend? thanks in advance
  • Sam85
    PianoMan wrote:
    They're basically the same as the SRAM S60's of years past, it says they have a wide rim but the brake track is extremely narrow and unless you use a narrow tyre you won't get the smooth airflow of rim to tyre, plus you lose out on the benefit of rolling a wide tyre into the corners.

In the same vein I'm going to move my Cosmic Carbones to my summer bike and look for something like HED Jet 5's to put on my triathlon bike where fearless high-speed cornering is of paramount importance.

I'd most likely be running 23mm contis I think, those HEDs look great but they're quite a bit more money, any other comparable wheels which you would be better at a similar price to the zipps?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    PianoMan wrote:
    They're basically the same as the SRAM S60's of years past,

I don't think you can say that... the old SRAM S 60 were very agricultural, with massive spokes and old fashioned narrow and pointy rims.
    The Zipp 60 are basically a "poor man" version of the 404, where the composite rim is replaced by a heavier alloy + composite structure. Spokes are Sapim CX Ray.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Sam85 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I don't race. The weight was something I was slightly concerned about to be fair. I wouldn't be remotely interested in putting stickers on anything lol. What 'something better' do you recommend? thanks in advance

Buy my Reynolds Aero 72's instead. Lighter, much faster, better in crosswinds with far superior hubs. A Look deserves a real pair of shoes. ;)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Sam85
    PianoMan wrote:

Both of those sets are about the same weight as the zipps I think. The 3T pair had already caught my eye to be fair they look pretty smart, but again very little in the way of reviews or additional information online about them. And although I know it's very petty I really don't like the looks of the AC wheels. Although to be fair I can't see what either pair offer that zipps don't.
  • Sam85
    Grill wrote:
    Sam85 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Buy my Reynolds Aero 72's instead. Lighter, much faster, better in crosswinds with far superior hubs. A Look deserves a real pair of shoes. ;)

A bit out of my budget I fear I'm looking at spending a grand tops but preferably around £850ish and more likely than not with an alloy brake track. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    These use Reynolds rims, a few local racers use them, very good reports.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... weight.htm
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Sam85 wrote:

A bit out of my budget I fear I'm looking at spending a grand tops but preferably around £850ish and more likely than not with an alloy brake track. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Not sure theres much more advise then, as alloy clinchers with carbon fairings are pretty much purely vanity wheels
  • Grill
    Sam85 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Sam85 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

PM me, I'm sure we can work something out. ;)
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    Zipp 60's are not simply an Ali wheel with a carbon fairing. The spokes lace into the carbon rim rather than the Ali rim bed/brake track component.
    rim-shape-fc1.jpg

Though lacking the blunt profile of the 2011(and after) Firecrest 404's, the Zipp 60's (in common with SRAM S60's) have the toroidal profile which it's claimed is more aerodynamic and makes them better at handling crosswinds than conventional V shaped deep section wheels.
    Pre Firecrest hybrid 404's with this toroidal profile where lighter than the SRAM or Zipp 60's by dint of a more complex but weight saving lay-up of the carbon fibre.
    SRAM 60's, despite having essentially the same rim as the Zipp 60, lacked the Aero dimpled finish of Zipps.

Given the current Euro/GBP echange rate , you can get Zipp 60's for just over £700 here :
    http://www.4thebike.de/12467/zipp-laufr ... m-clincher

The Ali brake track afforded by the hybrid construction is an obvious bonus over most carbon wheels with carbon-only brake tracks.
    If you don't mind carbon brake tracks NapoleonD's suggestion of these http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... weight.htm has to be worth looking at, especially if you can catch one of their 20+ % OFF special offers.
  • Sam85
    Origami02 wrote:
    Zipp 60's are not simply an Ali wheel with a carbon fairing. The spokes lace into the carbon rim rather than the Ali rim bed/brake track component.
    rim-shape-fc1.jpg

Though lacking the blunt profile of the 2011(and after) Firecrest 404's, the Zipp 60's (in common with SRAM S60's) have the toroidal profile which it's claimed is more aerodynamic and makes them better at handling crosswinds than conventional V shaped deep section wheels.
    Pre Firecrest hybrid 404's with this toroidal profile where lighter than the SRAM or Zipp 60's by dint of a more complex but weight saving lay-up of the carbon fibre.
    SRAM 60's, despite having essentially the same rim as the Zipp 60, lacked the Aero dimpled finish of Zipps.

Given the current Euro/GBP echange rate , you can get Zipp 60's for just over £700 here :
    http://www.4thebike.de/12467/zipp-laufr ... m-clincher

The Ali brake track afforded by the hybrid construction is an obvious bonus over most carbon wheels with carbon-only brake tracks.
    If you don't mind carbon brake tracks NapoleonD's suggestion of these http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... weight.htm has to be worth looking at, especially if you can catch one of their 20+ % OFF special offers.
    that's what first drew me to the zipp 60s the fact that they weren't just a carbon fairing stuck on a regular wheel. Those superstars look interesting too though. Anything else I should stick on the to be considered list?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sam85 wrote:
    that's what first drew me to the zipp 60s the fact that they weren't just a carbon fairing stuck on a regular wheel. Those superstars look interesting too though. Anything else I should stick on the to be considered list?

In terms of aerodynamic drag, there is virtually no difference between a rim where the carbon is structural and one where the carbon is simply a fairing. In fact many triathletes swear by HED Jet and FLO 60/90, which are fairing wheels and among the best out there in terms of drag

If you are after "posing wheels", then of course the alu track is a no go area, whether it is fairing or structural carbon.

Either way, I would steer clear of old fashioned narrow rims, which have terrible handling and poor aerodynamics credentials
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    thanks to this thread i'm probably going to get some of the superstar components linked to above in the 46.

what width tyre would go best with these? i've always used 23s but aren't too fussed either way.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Origami02
    gsk82 wrote:
    thanks to this thread i'm probably going to get some of the superstar components linked to above in the 46.

what width tyre would go best with these? i've always used 23s but aren't too fussed either way.

Given that your frame has clearance, you could easily use 23 or 25mm on those.
  • Origami02
    Sam85 wrote:
    I can't see you being disappointed with the Zipps, I've had the SRAM S60's and I found them to be super-stiff without being harsh, fast on the flat, very reassuring on long, fast descents(both on braking and cornering) , and -surprisingly- they climb in a way that really belies their weight. Brilliant at handling cross winds too, for a 60mm rim. Apart from the golf ball like Zipp dimples, the SRAM S60 and the Zipp 60 have essentially the same rims. Different hubs and spokes though.

Bang for buck the Superstar's are a very tough act to follow, with their pricing and UK back up :!: , though I personally like the reassurance of an Ali brake track. If you don't mind a slightly shallower rim these might be worth a look at £500
    http://www.merlincycles.com/3t-accelero ... 74598.html

Having said that, the same shop are doing Zipp 60's for £699 inc tyres , though only on Campag free-Hubs http://www.merlincycles.com/3t-accelero ... 74598.html
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you don't mind a bit of faff you could order 3 sets of Campag Bullet Ultras with British Cycling discount for £470 each (as they are 3 for 2 atm). They are usually £880 and weigh 1550g and have alu brake track.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/w ... wheels-usb
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Sam85 wrote:

Not sure theres much more advise then, as alloy clinchers with carbon fairings are pretty much purely vanity wheels
    You do talk some nonsense on occasion.
    I would say you are entirely incorrect. Vanity is wanting to say your wheel is full carbon and only weighs X. Pragmatism is knowing the weight doesn't matter much on the flat, aluminium brake tracks will be more reliable, the aerodynamics can be just as good and there's money to be saved by going for a carbon fairing on an alloy rim. It depends on what you're going to use them for, but calling hybrid carbon/alloy wheels vanity wheels is simply nonsense.
  • Grill
    gabriel959 wrote:
    If you don't mind a bit of faff you could order 3 sets of Campag Bullet Ultras with British Cycling discount for £470 each (as they are 3 for 2 atm). They are usually £880 and weigh 1550g and have alu brake track.

They actually weight over 100gms more. Italian grams are heavier than ours.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Grill wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

They actually weight over 100gms more. Italian grams are heavier than ours.

Do they or is it a joke? I am interested at that price if anyone is looking to buy some.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Pragmatism is knowing the weight doesn't matter much on the flat, aluminium brake tracks will be more reliable, the aerodynamics can be just as good and there's money to be saved by going for a carbon fairing on an alloy rim. It depends on what you're going to use them for, but calling hybrid carbon/alloy wheels vanity wheels is simply nonsense.

Who rides solely on the flat? Thats nonsense.
    How are aluminium brake tracks more reliable than carbon? Thats nonsense.
    There are loads of people using 1100g carbon wheels, when most alu/ carbon offerings are 500g more. Fact
    I haven't mentioned aerodynamic capabilities. More nonsense.
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Pragmatism is knowing the weight doesn't matter much on the flat, aluminium brake tracks will be more reliable, the aerodynamics can be just as good and there's money to be saved by going for a carbon fairing on an alloy rim. It depends on what you're going to use them for, but calling hybrid carbon/alloy wheels vanity wheels is simply nonsense.

Who rides solely on the flat? Thats nonsense.
    How are aluminium brake tracks more reliable than carbon? Thats nonsense.
    There are loads of people using 1100g carbon wheels, when most alu/ carbon offerings are 500g more. Fact
    I haven't mentioned aerodynamic capabilities. More nonsense.
    I didn't say anyone rides soley on the flat. I said weight was doesn't matter much on the flat.
    I have no doubt you're well aware carbon has some limitations around heat dissipation and potential for resin breakdown at high temps. Undwer some circumstances they can potentially be a problem though it shouldn't be a concern with suitable resin and good braking technique. No such issue with aluminium.
    Of course there are weight differences, I never said otherwise.
    We're talking about deep section wheels. If aerodynamics are not a consideration then ANY deep section wheel is a vanity wheel.

You claimed alloy/carbon wheels are just vanity wheels.
    You've yet to make a valid argument.
    Do you have one?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ai_1 wrote:
    No such issue with aluminium.?

I know quite a few people who have blown out inner tubes on alloy wheels, some very expert riders too...

While carbon is worse, aluminium is not immune. Realistically there is no foolproof solution to heat accumulation, as even disc brakes overheat and fade
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:
    No such issue with aluminium.?

I know quite a few people who have blown out inner tubes on alloy wheels, some very expert riders too...

While carbon is worse, aluminium is not immune. Realistically there is no foolproof solution to heat accumulation, as even disc brakes overheat and fade
    Good point, I was only thinking about the integrity of the rims.