Contessa ?

TcKay
TcKay Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in Women's cycling forum
I'm looking for my first (road) bike, and initially was looking toward the B'Twin Triban or Alur, as they seem great value right now.

They are Hard to find in stock now and the nearest store is about 100 miles away. I've gotten a bit carried away in my research on the net and now have a dilemma :wink:

I really like the look of the Contessa Speedster 15 at £799, the Giant Defy 1 is the same price, and whilst there is a wealth of information about the Giant, I can't find much about the Scott Contessa, the specs are very close.

Are they comparable at this price point? I really just prefer the colours of the Scott.

Comments

• I don't know a huge amount about either, but at that price point I'd consider if either of them have a Carbon fork (I don't think the Giant does from a bit of research I did previously). This will make a serious difference to the comfort of your ride, in my opinion, over and above any small differences in gears etc.
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Both bikes appear to have alu frame, carbon fork with alu steerer and 105 componentry, so they are pretty much neck and neck.

I think the Scott has a Shimano chainset while the Giant is FSA; I'd prefer the former myself. It may come down to whether you can find them in the right size; stock levels of both seem a bit patchy looking on line...

If you can find both then test ride them. Either way you'll not be buying a bad bike, and choosing based on the colour scheme / general look of the bike is not a bad thing. If you're splurging £800 on a bike you need to like the look of it!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    BBBGF-21-05-15.jpg

Ribble are well worth a visit. I think they deliver just about the best value for money that any cycle shop could offer, so don't go ahead with anything until you have a look. Worth having a bike fit done in advance so you know what to buy. Once you get the bike fit, call Ribble and discuss your needs as they will be able to change stem length, crank arm length, saddle - all those things that a bike fit will ascertain, without much fuss.

Click on the link below and you will see the options on the drop down lists for example.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-gran-fondo?part=BB15RIBGRFONDO&sub=conf_BB_ALL&bike=1
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!