Beginner - getting back in shape and training pain

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited June 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Hi
I have just started riding again after many years of inactivity, I am not overweight but I am around the upper quartile in the BMI for a 37 year old. I have been riding most days for the past three weeks - before or after work, usually about 15-25km, and I try to pedal hard (160bpm+) for at least 30 mins.
Some days my legs really hurt, and I find it very hard to keep going at a high rate - is it better to try to push at this pain or take things easier until my legs ache less? My goal is to recover fitness, build strength, stamina, endurance etc. I don´t have a particular goal time wise, enjoy riding and want to get more in shape before I hit trails.
Thanks in advance,

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Pain is the way the body tells you are taking the mick.

Hammering is no way to train your body for fitness, long steady riding will do that.

Take a read of this, http://www.timetrialtraining.co.uk/default.htm

Without training properly over the years I would not be able to ride for over 30 minutes in excess 168 bpm at the age of 64, so it works.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You have to build up slowly otherwise you'll damage tendons and possibly even give yourself a heart attack.

- make sure you stretch properly after riding - this is the best advice I ever got.
    - set shorter intervals - maybe 1 min on 20 seconds off for no more thn 20 mins.
    - If you have access to a gym with a trainer bike see if you can run a Functional test so that you can adjust your HR training zones better. Its not easy to do on the road. Though there isn't much point in doing this at the start of your fitness journey.

I couldn't work out your bmi from what you said - are you saying its close to 25 or close to 30?

If you have lbs to lose you wont do it with exercise alone
  • james22b2
    james22b2 Posts: 132
    You have to build up slowly otherwise you'll damage tendons and possibly even give yourself a heart attack.

- make sure you stretch properly after riding - this is the best advice I ever got.
    - set shorter intervals - maybe 1 min on 20 seconds off for no more thn 20 mins.
    - If you have access to a gym with a trainer bike see if you can run a Functional test so that you can adjust your HR training zones better. Its not easy to do on the road. Though there isn't much point in doing this at the start of your fitness journey.

I couldn't work out your bmi from what you said - are you saying its close to 25 or close to 30?

If you have lbs to lose you wont do it with exercise alone

Thanks guys for the advice! The pain seems to have gone now, and I do think this was mainly down to stretching and taking some recovery time (albeit forced by non-related circumstances).

My BMI is about 23 and I´d like to lower this - but agree this will definitely require much more control of food/diet - I don´t think I have lost much weight, if any, despite riding 700km in the last month or so. However building strength etc is more important to me right now.
  • Zx7rSteve
    Zx7rSteve Posts: 6
    I feel your pain fella, picked up my new bike today (not rode in 15 years) 20 minutes later sweat was rolling off me and the legs turned to jelly.

It's going to be a harsh journey on this road to fitness
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A BMI of 23 is pretty good, dropping this lower could affect your endurance ability if you intend to do longer rides. The whole thing with cardio is take it real slow. Particularly of the body has had it easy for a long time.