Handlebar Finishing Tape

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the 3M electrical tape that I'm currently using to finish off my handlebar tape. It looks great when I first stick it on there, but after a couple of weeks or so, it slowly starts to slide off the edge of the bar tape and down on to the bars themselves leaving a horrible sticky mess. I think the issue is that the tape itself is too stretchy and flexible to stay put. Can anyone recommend a decent finishing tape, ideally available in black and must be weather proof! Many thanks!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,582
    i've always used cheapo electrical tape, not had this problem, and i ride all weathers with water affecting it

if the tape is sliding is it possible you are putting too much tension on it when fitting? otherwise just try a different brand
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A quality electrical tape works a treat, the cheap stuff tends to stretch and isn't as sticky.
  • gpgiant
    gpgiant Posts: 26
    Scotch Super 33 is perfect, been using it for bar tape ends for years. Used offshore in all weathers and survives 500m water depth no probs.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    gpgiant wrote:
    Scotch Super 33 is perfect, been using it for bar tape ends for years. Used offshore in all weathers and survives 500m water depth no probs.

Cool, I was thinking of giving the Super 33+ or the 88 a try, so thanks for the recommendation. Just checked and the tape I've been using isn't actually 3M at all so it could be that the adhesive on it isn't particularly good either. Hopefully one of these will solve my woes!
  • gpgiant
    gpgiant Posts: 26