bit of an odd saddle question

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited May 2015 in Road general
I have been measured before at a specialized shop and they figured i need a 153 wide saddle. I currently use a fizik ardea i think, but sometimes it feels like its properley splitting my difference. if you know what i mean.

Do i need a narrower saddle (at the wider part) so im not forcing my cheeks for want of a better expression?

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    If you have too much weight on your 'sit bones', then try lowering the front of the saddle a little bit to get some weight more forward on the saddle.
    The weight distribution should feel 'balanced', with some weight forward and some weight on the sit bones. Carry a wrench with you and do some test rides and make adjustments along the way.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I've found that all the width and style of saddle guides are just that, a basic guide (are you a Chameleon, Snake or a Bull???). Finding the perfect saddle is usually a royal pain in the arse that requires some trial and error for positioning, shape, width, etc. Just don't get locked into the idea that you need a certain type. As JayKosta mentioned try adjusting yours first before spending more money on another saddle. Also try sitting on as many saddles as you can which of course can't give you the feel of a long ride but you can at least eliminate some that are clearly wrong for you and possibly develop an idea of what shapes and widths feel better. Good luck in your search and I hope you find something comfortable.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    i tried the fizik antares, aliante and arione for 100+ miles each, none of which were any good.

had the stock Selle Italia on my previous bike that was fine for 5k+ miles.

Now on a Spesh Romin Elite which has been the best ive ever used, that's got 6k miles in it now and no pain or issues at all, just get the right width and I'd bet you'll be onto a winner.