Going Tubeless...

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I seem to be cursed with getting rear punctures despite changing tyres, so I am considering going tubeless.
My bike is a Trek 1.2 2014 which comes with Bontrager TLR (Tubeless ready) wheels. I have looked at the Bontrager tubeless kit but it seems extremely expensive. I was hoping to just try making the rear wheel tubeless first to see how I get on with it.

Does anyone know if the wheels already have the tubeless rim tape installed or whether I need to purchase one along with a Bontrager tubeless valve, sealant and tubeless ready tyre?.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    The bontrager seal is a plastic strip, you would have noticed it when changing tubes so I'd say it isn't there. My stock Bontrager TLR wheels didn't come with it but after market did.
    You also don't need to buy the bontrager kit, you probably need rim tape, Stans is a favourite and any sealant will work. You will need the valves, fairly cheap, about £12. You can buy the kit with this all in it for about £40, you then just need the tires, about £70 will get you a pair of tubeless Schwalbe one.
    It's well worth doing, there's a sticky thread here worth a read if you haven't done so already.
    Also don't be put of by people saying its a faff etc. I'm the least mechanically able person known to man but was able to do it, 2000 puncture free miles and very happy!
  • mtbjunkie08
    w00dster wrote:
    The bontrager seal is a plastic strip, you would have noticed it when changing tubes so I'd say it isn't there. My stock Bontrager TLR wheels didn't come with it but after market did.
    You also don't need to buy the bontrager kit, you probably need rim tape, Stans is a favourite and any sealant will work. You will need the valves, fairly cheap, about £12. You can buy the kit with this all in it for about £40, you then just need the tires, about £70 will get you a pair of tubeless Schwalbe one.
    It's well worth doing, there's a sticky thread here worth a read if you haven't done so already.
    Also don't be put of by people saying its a faff etc. I'm the least mechanically able person known to man but was able to do it, 2000 puncture free miles and very happy!

Thanks for the info, what confuses me about the stans kit is it says its for converting non-tubeless wheels to tubeless but mine are already tubeless ready.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I know the wheels are tubeless ready, but the stock wheels might not have the plastic rim strip, you'll need to check. My stock wheels didn't as I mentioned. The bontrager plastic rim strip is pretty good, especially for clueless people like me, put the plastic rim strip in, valve and that's pretty much it. I imagine your wheels just have the standard tape rim strip at the moment. This may be ok and work, but depends on how good a seal you'll get on the valve. The plastic rim is a doddle, but not really necessary.
    I know £140 is a lot for the bontrager kit, but work that out price per me of no worry riding. Worth every penny for me.
    http://www.bontrager.com/tlr/
  • Eoinl
    Eoinl Posts: 13
    edited May 2015
    From what I understand, tubeless ready means that the rim section and hooks are the correct profile to accept tubeless tyres. You still need to add rim tape, valves and sealant.
  • mtbjunkie08
    Considering maybe just trying a Schwalbe Durano Plus now, it has similar puncture protection as the marathon plus I use on my mountain bike.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    This works great as rim tape:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380729384694? ... EBIDX%3AIT
    Valves here:
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/b ... -valve.htm
    And whatever sealent you like, job done for less than £20.. + tyres of your choice, of course!