Bent derailleur hangar?

foppasudd
foppasudd Posts: 6
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi there. I´m attaching some pictures of my sora derailleur hangar, is it supposed to look like this or is it bent?
I´m having some trouble adjusting the gears. The bike is a Specialized Allez Sport 2014. / Lars

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Looks ok to me. Has the bike been dropped - or do you have any actual cause to think the hanger might be bent?
  • foppasudd
    Imposter wrote:
    Looks ok to me. Has the bike been dropped - or do you have any actual cause to think the hanger might be bent?

I have been having trouble adjusting the gears lately, I´m searching for reasons for that. The bike has not been dropped and I haven´t crashed, To me it looks like it could be bent slightly inwards, but I dont know./ Lars
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Have you checked that the screws are done up tight?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    not being funny, but...

it looks like it could be a new bike, are you familiar with how to tweak the shifting with the barrel adjuster?

from new it can take a while for the cable outers etc. to fully seat, until they do the shifting will tend to need adjusting
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Imposter wrote:

Impossible to say that from looking at pictures. Just learn to index gears, the most incredibly simple job which no one shouldn't be able to do, LBS make thousands and thousands from indexing gears which is a 5 minute job.
  • foppasudd
    I know how to adjust the index. The guy at the bikestore cant make it work properly either, so something is wrong. The bike is one year old. When I shift to a bigger cog I have to push the lever a bit further in from the click to make the shift. If I tighten the wire with the barrel adjuster so that it shifts when it clicks than shifting to a smaller cog works even worse. The bikestore had the same problem.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Surely the LBS has a gear hanger alignment tool to check
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    It could be bent, hard to tell for sure from the photo. Also, you may have been dealing with an incompetent mechanic at the shop. Two of the most common causes of what the OP described are bent hanger and frayed shift cable. usually near the cable end at the shift lever but could be various places along the cable. Undo the cable from the mech and pull on the end while shifting through all the clicks to see if there is anything causing drag and also inspect the cable while out of the casing to check for any kinks or breakage.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Agree could well be the cable - often it isn't actually frayed, but just sticks a little - usually in the short segment of housing to the rear mech. Often cured by replacing this housing segment and cleaning the corresponding section of inner cable thoroughly.

Always worth getting the hangar alignment checked though......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D