SPD Pedals - M520 vs M540 vs XT (M780)

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Is it worth the extra £10ish for the Shimano M540 or are the M520s a very good and reliable bargain at £16ish.
Also are the XTs worth getting for £41 or is it more money for very little benefit/gain?
Pedals for my HT 29er for racing but also quick rides/training.
Not obsessed about e.g. 30g here or there but want good quality/value for money and reliability.

Last one - what are the verdicts on Time pedals?

Thanks all
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    520s are great, 540s are great. Depends on whether you want to save the cash or not mainly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    time atac are great pedals, would buy them over shimano ones.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Shimano are fine, I've had 520s that lasted almost a decade (I've had a few others too, but 520s offer most bang for buck by far). Time are better though, imo. The extra movement is better for my knees, they clear mud better and are less prone to disengage without warning without having the tension wacked up as far as possible. I've got some ancient Time Aliums on one bike that still work like new and Time MX4 on another.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boardman now due Shimano compatible SPD, look very nice, not sure who makes them for them but they look well made and the price is very good for the weight (claimed 285g for £30).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mikeyj28
    POAH wrote:

In what way are they better? How are Time pedals better on your knees?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

In what way are they better? How are Time pedals better on your knees?

I had the same pair for 18 years, they don't clog with mud and because of the float they are much better for your knees
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    All the Shimano pedals are the same to use. I have M520 and XT and to be honest I can't tell the difference.
    Time are OK if you don't mind a lot of float (I don't like to have much at all) and Crank Bros are OK if you don't mind them having loads of float and bearings which last five minutes but good mud clearance.
  • mikeyj28
    All the Shimano pedals are the same to use. I have M520 and XT and to be honest I can't tell the difference.
    Time are OK if you don't mind a lot of float (I don't like to have much at all) and Crank Bros are OK if you don't mind them having loads of float and bearings which last five minutes but good mud clearance.

Not really a big fan of a lot of float. Can see me edging towards the 520's or 540's at this rate.
    Find the concept of the eggbeaters really strange with the platform of the pedal even though they are very popular and can save a good chunk of weight.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are light but mine ended up in a bin after less than a year.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Had just this debate myself last week.. I went for the M540's, not being able to justify the extra cost for the XT's but liked the idea of almost 150g lighter than the M520's (Which I use on my mtb) - these were for my roadie.. :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • mikeyj28
    They are light but mine ended up in a bin after less than a year.

Yes that's what I think would happen should I get them
  • bob6397 wrote:
    Had just this debate myself last week.. I went for the M540's, not being able to justify the extra cost for the XT's but liked the idea of almost 150g lighter than the M520's (Which I use on my mtb) - these were for my roadie.. :)

The M540s are only 25 grams lighter per pair.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If he hasn't already bought pedals in the last 18 months, I'd be a bit suprised.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools