Hardtail project, but new to mountain biking!

MarioRacer
MarioRacer Posts: 4
edited May 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
A little bit about me, bust my knee November last year doing one of those mud obstacle races, finally had it operated on, but still have 2 months recovery time, always wanted a hardtail and figured I now have 2 months to build one.
Iv got as far as choosing a frame, I'd preference a production privee but can't seem to find anywhere to buy one without having to wait 6 months, so settled on a Stanton switchback( not the ti) just waiting for them to get back to me about order time because they also seem to be out of stock.
Never built a bike so just wanted some basic advice to make sure I start out on the right route, iv got about £1500 budget

Any advice much appreciated or if anyone knows where I can get one of those frames quickly, I'm 6'2" so going to need a large one

Dan

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kind of depends how much of that budget is in the frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MarioRacer
    I guess I don't mind using about half of it, if I have to up the rest of the budget because of it then so be it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You might struggle with a large one. I'm 6'1" and my mates large is too small for me. They don't make an xl either.
  • MarioRacer
    Have been wondering about what size, going to test a few out in my local shop this week.
    Both the frames iv been looking at should be back in stock over the next two to four week and If I remember correctly the privee frame does come in xl
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Blowing half the budget on a frame without considering the costs for forks and wheels (the other big costs) seems a bit of poor planning, for the best £1500 bike you ideally want to be spending no more than about £400 on the frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.