Which road bike up to about £1000?

tomwheels
tomwheels Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
In the market for a road bike soon. Used to have a Reynolds 531 framed Peugeot that was lovely - wish I'd kept it but didn't really have the space!

I can get £300 cashback on a bike in this price range through my health insurance but it has to be purchased from Evans Cycles.

I'm 6' 4" (193cm) with approx 33" inside leg so will probably need the largest frame size available. Was looking at the HOY Sa Calobra .003 but the XL size doesn't seem to be available. The Jamis Xenith Comp looks good on paper at £999 with a carbon frame and Shimano 105 groupset.

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Saw a good review of this Pinnacle the other day
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec071301
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you loved your Peugeot steely then why not opt for a Genesis Equilibrium 10 which is within your £1000 budget. Chromoly steel with 10-speed Tiagra mostly - so a decent spec

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... e-ec103220

Genesis are well regarded bikes with a bit of a retro steel image.
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    A friend bought a Pinnacle Dolomite 6 In January and loves it. Generally the finishing kit it comes with is quite nice too compared with some other bikes in this price range. The seat was a little hard for him, so was replaced with a Charge Scoop before we rode 100 miles a couple of weeks ago.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Just had the exact same debate myself - My Final 4 were as follows - I Picked the Rose in the end. Should be arriving at some point next week :)

Rose Pro SL-2000 - £835 including delivery. Full 105 Groupset. Aksium Wheels. Awesome reviews everywhere.
    Canyon Endurance Al 6.0 - £900 quoted price. Full 105. Aksium Wheels. Awesome reviews
    Giant Defy 0 - £1000 RRP. Ultegra w/non-series crank + 105 front derailleur. Giant Wheels. Awesome reviews everywhere you look
    Giant Defy 1 - £900 RRP. 105 Groupset w/FSA Crank. Same as Defy 0 other than that.

Hope that helps..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    Sorry to hijack but would be interested in views on best sub £1000 disc brake bikes. Looking at getting one as a winter bike on c2w. Can probably just about get the equilibrium disc but not sure on Tiagra 4600 when 4700 is on its way. Cannon dale synapse disc 105 looks best bet so far but would be interested in others views.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    bob6397 wrote:
    Just had the exact same debate myself - My Final 4 were as follows - I Picked the Rose in the end. Should be arriving at some point next week :)

Rose Pro SL-2000 - £835 including delivery. Full 105 Groupset. Aksium Wheels. Awesome reviews everywhere.
    Canyon Endurance Al 6.0 - £900 quoted price. Full 105. Aksium Wheels. Awesome reviews
    Giant Defy 0 - £1000 RRP. Ultegra w/non-series crank + 105 front derailleur. Giant Wheels. Awesome reviews everywhere you look
    Giant Defy 1 - £900 RRP. 105 Groupset w/FSA Crank. Same as Defy 0 other than that.

Hope that helps..

bob6397

None of those are sold through Evans.
  • sloweey
    sloweey Posts: 89
    Cube peleton sl ....105/ ultrega