Trail Bike Vs Cross Country Bike

slinkydonkey
slinkydonkey Posts: 27
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm not new to Mountain Biking was riding in the 90's!
Back then there were only two types of Mountain Bikes cross country and down hilling.

I used to have a Specialized Camber and as much as I liked it I found it heavy.
I mainly do the Evan Ride IT events but I do fairly regularly go to Wales .

I am test riding a GIANT Trance x 4 (Trail Bike)this weekend but in my local shop they have a Scott 750 (Cross Country Bike).

The thing is really is there that much difference between a cross country and a trail bike? I mean surely some cross country routes are trails and vs a versa?

I really like the Scott Spark 750 ive asked my bike shop to see if Scott will loan me one weekend.
My only concerns is if it was enough front travel 120m for front travel.

Is it possible to get mountain bikes these days with adjustable front suspension and are they any good?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A trail bike will usually have slightly slacker geometry and slightly more travel, this makes them easier to ride on the slightly more demanding stuff, though not necessarily much (if any) faster, although due to improvements in what is available Trail bikes are tending to more and more travel than they had just a few years ago as it no longer carries such a big weight disadvantage and improved suspension means the ride is better controlled when you want it tight (such as uphills).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget about amount of suspension and the many different types of bike. Just test ride a few and buy what you like.
    Personally I ride a Transition Scout which has 140mm front and 120mm rear but everyone I ride with has 160mm front and rear. Mine will do anything theirs will do and I have no trouble keeping up. Mine just feels a little different to ride.
    It's all about personal preference.