Big helmet for big head?

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited May 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi
I tried on some cycle helmets yesterday in Decathlon and even the Large size felt a bit small on my head - it did just fit but felt a tiny bit tight and looked pretty small in the mirror...
Does anyone have any advice on choosing a large sized helmet for a large sized head?
Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bell and Boardman (a bit pricier) both do genuinely large large sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    Bluegrass Goldeneye. I bought a large thinking they would be modest in size, but in reality, I reckon I could have gotten away with a medium. The large is quite big!
  • I got an Orbea (Sport City Model) helmet with the bike.. It wasn't expensive and fit perfectly to my relatively big head :)
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    My advice is measure your head. Fortunately I know my head size in cm from work and it makes choosing the correct size so much easier from the sizing charts.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Depends on shape too. I have a large, square-shaped head.
    Giro is the only brand that fits properly. Their Large sizes are larger than other brands too.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    +1 for Giro. Fit my large noggin. Try before you buy though, all heads are different shapes & certain brands suit different head shape
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Caveman_Chris
    Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bell and Boardman (a bit pricier) both do genuinely large large sizes.

Yep, Bell are good with their sizing. More round shape. If you can try one on though, my measurement had me in a large and it a little loose on fully tightened.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er