Best travel/wheel combination ??

gunny_bedford
gunny_bedford Posts: 347
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
So that exciting time comes again when you other half sanctions a new bike purchase, and you have a bid wad of cash for a deposit in your sticky mitts from selling your old bike ....... :D

Even though age is catching up with me and the dreaded 50 closes fast, i would like to try and improve my technical skills/ability to tackle gnarl, as at presents it sucks. So i am looking at getting a more "trail orientated " bike with more travel to help me in this issue (last bike was a Tomac XC whippet)

I am reasonably settled on getting a Cube Stereo 140 HPA pro 650b, as i think that ticks most boxes, but on looking at the stereo range, they also have 120 travel 29er's as well, so is there a massive different between a 140 travel 27.5 wheeled bike and 120 travel 29 wheeled bike, as i am thinking that perhaps the extra wheel size can compensate to a degree for the travel ? they also have 160 29ers but i am thinking they are going to be too big and heavy for general trail riding and very much more pointed towards downhill/enduro.

I am looking for an "all round bike" that will allow me to ride the local trails (nothing too horrendous) but tackle the odd bits around that have some nasty natural drops/steps/roots etc and also allow me to improve my skills when i take it to wales etc at the trail centres.

cheers Neil

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I wouldn't get too hung-up over the wheel sizes. If you have found a bike that feels right, go for it.

I was torn between a 650b and 29er when buying my last bike. Finally went for a short-travel 29er because I wanted something for the trails that I ride - it's ideal for natural woodland trails with long swooping turns.
    (I guess I struggle a bit more than my friends riding 650bs when the corners get tight, but not to the point where I'm not enjoying the riding.)
    That said - I've yet to find anything that is unrideable on either wheel size.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget about wheel sizes and suspension travel. It's more about the whole package.
    One bike with a certain wheel size and suspension travel can ride completely different to another with the same wheels and suspension. Frame geometry and suspension design count for just as much if not more.
    Personally I don't like Cube's frames, the rear suspension it too linear and their bikes don't fit me.
    Get some test rides on a variety of bikes.