First Bike - Trek Marlin 7 or something else?

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for some help and advice, I'm wanting to get an entry level mountain bike for cross country riding. I'll be using my employers Cycle-2-Work Scheme with Evans Cycles for the bike and was planning on spending around £500 - so far the Trek Marlin 7 seems to have caught my eye, would this be a good starting point or should I possibly consider something else??

Looking forward to your replies :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bike is hideous I'm afraid, that fork has no place on a £340 bike let alone a £500 one, absolutely shocking (It's previously received a magazine award for being the worst fork tested that year).

This is much better for not much more money
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... 3#features

But it would help to confirm what sort of riding you expect to do.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie's little mini me?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    He's must be really mini. As Rookie is a right short ass by all accounts, among other things. ;-)
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Hmmmm that bad eh? The reviews seemed really positive.... An alternative, although not on the Cycle-2-Work Scheme would be a Canyon Yellowstone. How would that compare with the Trek Marlin 7??
  • The Rookie
    Buyer reviews are pointless reading, most buyers will have nothing to compare it to, trust me that fork is dire and much much better is available for £500.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bwilde
    Bwilde Posts: 3
    Whyte 603 worth a look. 27.5 but whyte bikes always ride well and also helps they look great. Kit isn't amazing I'll admit but a frame worth upgrading.
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    Whyte 603 is terrible, you can get much MUCH better bike for the money
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • The Rookie
    Bwilde wrote:
    Whyte 603 worth a look. 27.5 but whyte bikes always ride well and also helps they look great. Kit isn't amazing I'll admit but a frame worth upgrading.
    What a silly thing to say given how cheap a frame is compared to fork and wheels! Basically buy a shite bike as the frame is just about OK? No.