Is it time to put on the summer tyres?

woo1
woo1 Posts: 51
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Has everyone got their summer tyres on yet ?

I've got Conti GP4000 II to put on but the jury is still out for me on these, I had GP4000 before and they took a bashing on my roads & got cut up pretty easily, my GPII look like they are going the same way, can anyone recommend a good quality tyre ?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you live in Alaska, I would wait another week...

Over here I put the summer tyres on at the beginning of March and already worn out the first set... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I use gp4000s on my winter bike on North Yorkshire. Does that answer your question? :)
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I use schwalbe ultremo and vittorria corsa cx all year round. Never had any more punctures or issues than friends using winter tires.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC tyres stay on the summer bike. I've been riding that for a couple of months now. But I'd also ride it in mid winter if the roads are dry.

Converse with the winter bike with 25mm Conti GP4 Seasons ; I'll ride that in mid summer if I'm expecting a wet ride.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    25 Pro4 SC in the wet, corsa cx in the dry. All year round. Sometimes the cx goes in the wet (and snow!) sometimes to pro4 come out in the dry.
  • Let's not overthink it eh?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Pro 4 SC all year round on one bike. GP 4 Seasons all year round on the other.
    Why ask us anyway?
    Surely the only reason to have "winter tyres" is if you want increased durability and reliability when training and if there are periods when road conditions are likely to be worse than usual for the tyres?
    I've never noticed any significant difference in punctures or other tyre damage in winter conditions compared to the rest of the year. But I believe in certain regions rain is prone to washing sharp flints etc onto roads and there, the criteria may be very different.
    If you're still debating whether it's too early for "summer tyres" in late May then I think you don't really have a place for "summer tyres". Perhaps you should just put on faster tyres for events and take them back off afterwards?