11sp shifter cable broken in shifter

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2015 in Workshop
So my shifter cable broke this morning. I have been told this is a nightmare job to remove the broken end.
I was wondering, does anyone have some clear instructions how to do this with a Shimano 11 speed shifter (RHS)? I imagine I am not the first.

Annoying that it's happened after only about 2K miles but, hey ho. It's a 5800 one, so not the Dura Ace problem ones.

Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The easiest way is to use something long and sharp (like a small flat head screwdriver) to help push the tumbler looking thing while you shift it up. You'll see it from the outside part of the shifter where you you install the shift cable. What happens when it brakes is the head gets lodged inside so it gets blocked when you try to shift. It can be a bit of a pain but once you get the technique down it only takes a few minutes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Cheers Grill. What's the tumbler looking thing? I built the bike up myself so happy with what's what (well, we shall see).

On another note, I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the new bike!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You'll see it in the hole that you ran the shift cable through when looking from the outside. You may need a flashlight but it's essentially the piece that rotates when you change gears.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,259
    As a side note... this was already a problem in the 5600 STI series... famously a gear cable eater an the very reason I moved to Campagnolo shifters... glad to see Shimano have done nothing to solve the problem... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015
    So my shifter cable broke this morning. I have been told this is a nightmare job to remove the broken end.
    I was wondering, does anyone have some clear instructions how to do this with a Shimano 11 speed shifter (RHS)? I imagine I am not the first.

Annoying that it's happened after only about 2K miles but, hey ho. It's a 5800 one, so not the Dura Ace problem ones.

Thanks

Depends how clean the snap is. The cable exit/entry is easy to access from both sides. Peel back the hood and pull out the little plastic cable cover. Then use something long and thin to poke it through.

Was you using the shimano polymer cable ?

i had this happen recently with a polymer cable on my DA9000 left shifter. Luckily the snap was fairly clean (1cm from the cable head end) and the broken end just slid out of like a normal cable. There were a couple of little cable fragments left inside when i looked with a torch. To get them out i used a strong magnet which worked well so try that.

Another idea is use a hoover to suck any bits out.

After installing a new cable i felt abit of stiffness so i lubed the internals and plastic cable run/cable outer and every was running back to normal.
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm. I think so. They were the cables which came with the groupset I bought whole from RIbble (OEM) and all the outers seem to be shimano branded. Haven't had a chance to look at it, will probably have to be Monday evening.
  • Anonymous
    I've poked it through and have the snapped end poking out the "outside" side of the shifter. Can't pull it out though as the grommet is stuck in the mechanism
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    coriordan wrote:
    grommet is stuck in the mechanism

Have you tried getting Wallace to entice him out with toast ?
  • Anonymous
    Sorted it with Wensleydale. Only bugger was the outers were full of the funny coating but sorted it