Canyon or Boardman, decisions decisions...

Richarddaviesgb
Richarddaviesgb Posts: 4
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello all!

I have 1k to spend with £100 wriggle room if it's really the best option.
I want a hard tail, preferably 29 but open to ideas. It will be mostly for riding along canal tow paths but for 30mile+ journeys and the odd trail centre blast when the stumpjumper is having repairs. I'm open to second handers but need to be in good or better condition. I'd rather not buy a bike more than 2yrs old.

The current winners are the Canyon Grand Canyon SLX 7.9 at a shade under 1100. Love the spec but can't exactly try before I buy for fit/feel and it's top of budget.

Next is the Boardman Pro Hardtail 29er which I can get for £900. Good spec but wheels seem to be where the savings are? I tried one the other day and it felt fairly natural, although the bars and stem will need changing.

I've checked out Paulscycles.co.uk and there is a carbon framed cube on there but the reviews weren't glowing, that or a Canondale Flash with a lefty fork...nice but not sure.

There you go. I'm torn. I know canal paths aren't the trickiest of rides but the distance make them demanding with constant pedalling.
I'm open to ideas. I ride for a 26" for fun and they're the best for all round use but I know the rolling ability of 29ers make them good for the type of riding I'm doing.

So, what should I do?! Please help, I'm not normally indecisive. I like the canyon for spec and looks but the board an is good value for 200 less and I can go bug the nearest halfords if there is a problem.

Comments