Riding in Warm/Hot Weather

towaihee
towaihee Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Road general
Hello cyclists everywhere,

I am beginner cyclist and an engineering student at the University of Calgary, Canada. As the summer is almost here I decided to tackle the problem of riding in hot temperature. I am at the concept generation stage and I would like to design and build a solution that makes driving in the hot summer days a pleasant experience for everyone. I would appreciate your feedback about some of the questions I am trying to answer.

- Is driving in high temperatures a pressing problem that you would love to find a solution for?
- Are there any other solutions out there, and are they effective?

All your insights are highly appreciated.
Tao

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    You're asking a driving question on a cycling forum? Or do you mean riding?
  • towaihee
    towaihee Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I meant to say riding lol.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The main issue is climbing in hot weather as you're going too slowly to get a chilling effect from the wind. That said I only really find it an issue about 30c which we don't get often in the UK. Personally I always wear a fast wicking but light base layer and a lightweight jersey on top, I think it helps with cooling despite having another layer but even if it doesn't I don't really like the feeling of a soaking jersey flapping against me (probably less of an issue if you have skin tight aero jerseys).
    Not sure what you could do as a solution though apart from improving clothing materials, it's unlikely something adding weight would be welcomed (e.g. battery/solar powered fan on handlebars or fluid piping in clothing with a heat exchanger mounted on the bike).
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The 1 day in the UK weather year where hot weather clothing might come in useful.... not worth worrying about.... I have heard the Met Office have cancelled that day anyways.
  • towaihee wrote:
    I am at the concept generation stage and I would like to design and build a solution that makes driving in the hot summer days a pleasant experience for everyone.

- Is driving in high temperatures a pressing problem that you would love to find a solution for?

Hmm really.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    - No
    - A string vest/base layer does the job
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    iPete wrote:
    - No

Surely wearing another layer would raise your core temperature? A string vest has thermal properties.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Borat suit will keep you cool

Will probably get you arrested for gross indecency too.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    Shorts and tee shirt, arrange route for downhill only, sorted.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Calgary, hot weather :D

Got to get above 25c here before it is considered hot enough for shorts!

When it gets past 35c I only go out early mornings, when it gets past 47c I don't ride a bike, when it gets past 50c I stay in the house.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Garry H wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    - No

Surely wearing another layer would raise your core temperature? A string vest has thermal properties.

As below.. the comfort thing is equally important in my experience.
    A thin base layer will wick the moisture from your body to the outside of the garment which will evaporate as the wind hits it. Evaporative cooling is a wonderful thing.

The other benefit to wearing a base layer in the heat is comfort.
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/12/why-w ... -the-heat/
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    iPete wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    - No

As below.. the comfort thing is equally important in my experience.
    A thin base layer will wick the moisture from your body to the outside of the garment which will evaporate as the wind hits it. Evaporative cooling is a wonderful thing.

The other benefit to wearing a base layer in the heat is comfort.
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/12/why-w ... -the-heat/

That last quote sounds wrong to me. You cool down when sweat evaporates on the surface of the skin. A wicking layer helps keep you warm by drawing sweat away from the skin surface. I get the comfort thing, but not the cooling thing.