How easy/expensive is it to drop weight (curiosity question)

2»

Comments

• Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    A good example depending on how you look at this.

But look at MTB cousins SBKs.

Compare a 2010 Yamaha R1 to the latest edition. Power increase, weight loss, introduction of safety features ABS, launch/traction control and a whole wealth of upgrades but cost is the same retail to what it was years ago. Now that is technological development.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Kajjal wrote:
    It is normally alot easier lose KG's offthe rider ;)

not when you are a lazy 40 year old :lol:
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    POAH wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

not when you are a lazy 40 year old :lol:

I am at least a decade away so in bike years quadruple that.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    A really good £/lb weight saving measure is to go for rigid carbon forks - if they suit you.

But since we're talking about hypothetical bragging rights - hypothetically, why not just brag? Who's going to put it on the scales and check?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    The Rookie wrote:
    e.g. seatposts, mine weighs 180g (typical alloy is circa 270-300g but some are as light as 230g and some as heavy as 400g) for sub £20 off ebay (China) but to drop to something at circa 140g will cost about 3-4 times as much. But if you want to get towards say 9Kg the 180g part is a waste of money as you'll need to go lighter later on.

Re. seatposts.

I'm dubious about carbon, not so much because of crash damage, but because of my ham fisted tightening of the repair stand clamp might do it damage. Not sure if I'm being over cautious?

So assuming I stick to alloy am I going to find anything better than the KCNC posts? (SC layback one 169g according to bikeradar, 194 according to clee cycles scales for the size I need).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Kajjal wrote:

Cheaper, but no way is it easier. You can walk into a bike shop, spend £5k and drop 3kg from your bike in 20 seconds. Only way you'll do that off the rider is amputation, amoebic dysentery or picolax.
    Over here due to the hot weather, sweat soaked foam grips go nasty so are best avoided, but if you live somewhere cool they'd be OK.

Most are closed cell foam, you're doing something wrong if they get soaked with sweat. That said, whilst I liked the Bonty XXX Lites I had previously they do get slippery when sweaty (because it doesn't soak in), and I prefer the ESIs for that reason if no other. But I did say foam if you're chasing lightweight, and the OP doesn't live in Oz...
    So assuming I stick to alloy am I going to find anything better than the KCNC posts? (SC layback one 169g according to bikeradar, 194 according to clee cycles scales for the size I need).

New Ultimate? Bit more expensive, but lighter.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A good example depending on how you look at this.

But look at MTB cousins SBKs.

Compare a 2010 Yamaha R1 to the latest edition. Power increase, weight loss, introduction of safety features ABS, launch/traction control and a whole wealth of upgrades but cost is the same retail to what it was years ago. Now that is technological development.

Are you the new Kowlolskicat?
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    njee20 wrote:

New Ultimate? Bit more expensive, but lighter.

cheers - that is light and not outrageous pricing £70 to drop 270g! Was after a layback one really, although only window shopping at the moment so may put the saddle forward 20mm for a bit and see how it feels and go from there.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They do a carbon one too, my 27.2x300mm one is 123g, that's a whole chunk more expensive though!

They used to do one with a few mm layback, but can't find it now, so probably discontinued.