Headset replacement - just the bearings?

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited May 2015 in Workshop
My headset has been on my Giant since I bought it in January 2012... so its been through three winters and feels rough...

Its an Overdrive headset like this: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-road-overdrive-headset-1-1-8-to-1-1-4in-id67298.html

But what's the best way to go about replacing it?

Do i need to spend £40 on the official replacement part linked above, or can I get away with just the bearings themselves? Which I understand are significantly cheaper if bought on their own?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Integrated headset looks like... so remove bearings measure with a vernier... outer /inner diam.. height.. angle etc and look for replacements on Google.
    The bearings themselves may actually have part numbers to search on.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    When you take the bearings out they should be these.

Top Bearing TH Industries 1-1/8” ACB 45⁰ x 45⁰ 870# Compatible W/Campy AE
    Bottom Bearing TH Industries 1-1/4" ACB 45⁰ x 45⁰ 970# CrMo

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p18595 ... _info.html or try your local bearing stockist.
  • alihisgreat
    Thanks!

So i took the bearings out.. the bottom one was in pieces (unsurprisingly i suppose) and the top half of the cartridge was seized in the frame... took me about half an hour to free it, and another half an hour to clean up all the mess it left behind!

Next time I won't be leaving it in there for three years!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thanks!

So i took the bearings out.. the bottom one was in pieces (unsurprisingly i suppose) and the top half of the cartridge was seized in the frame... took me about half an hour to free it, and another half an hour to clean up all the mess it left behind!

Yikes! One of mine's been in for 8 years. It still feels smooth, and it's on the bike with mudguards, but maybe I'll have a look at the weekend...
  • alihisgreat
    keef66 wrote:
    Thanks!

Yikes! One of mine's been in for 8 years. It still feels smooth, and it's on the bike with mudguards, but maybe I'll have a look at the weekend...

I'll upload some pictures later.... the top one is absolutely fine, so you might be ok if your mudguards are doing a decent enough job.

Funnily enough the local Giant store doesn't actually carry a stock of headsets... because that would be too sensible...

So I've ordered online and saved myself £20 even taking into account next day 1pm delivery!
  • alihisgreat
    11272914_1634434663442150_1944832477_n.jpg

Don't leave your headset in for three years guys!