Di2 what do I need?

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking in to di2, but not sure what I need. I currently have ultegra 10 speed, and wanted to just get an upgrade kit. So I don't have to change rear cassette or front chainrings. Is this possible?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yes. You need Shifters, front and rear mechs, A+B junctions, battery and 6 EW-50 cables.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill
    You can get the 6870 upgrade kit here: http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6870-di2-gear-kit-74063.html

If you're looking for 10 speed let me know as I have it available almost new.
  • ashleydwsmith
    Unfortunately it's on cycle to work. The problem is I have no idea what I need and if I can even do 10 speed or I have to go to 11!
  • Grill
    I just told you what you need. If your bike is 10 speed and you want to keep your cassette (and possibly wheels) you need 6770 mechs. If it's 11 speed then just get 6870 mechs.
  • The problem is I have no idea what I need and if I can even do 10 speed or I have to go to 11!

Go to a bike shop
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
  • ashleydwsmith
    So I have cheers grill and apologies for duplication. But just quickly does the internal battery fit any bike?
  • Grill
    It should.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2015
    The 6870 upgrade kit is 11 spd and needs a 11spd cassette ,11 spd chain and 11spd compatible wheels. if your current freehub is 10spd, an 11spd freehub might be available depending on make and model.

Another expensive workaround is an Edco 11spd cassette that fits 10spd freehubs.
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Edco/M ... tAodSQoA8w

If you want to stay with 10 speed. Then you need to buy the 6770 front and rear mechs. You need both mechs btw not just 1. These will work with 6870 shifters/wires if you update the firmware. But the bad news is they have been discontinued and are getting harder to source new. Also Shimano provide no support for them any longer if you have any warranty issues.

So the options you have are

1. Find a 6770 upgrade kit. (only available in External i think)

2. Buy the 6870 upgrade kit, and source the 6770 front and rear mechs.

3. Buy everything seperately. for an internal set up you will need

Shifters - 6770,6870,9070 and not 7970
    Front derailleur
    Rear derailleur
    3 or 5 port junction Box. SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B
    junction box B - SM-JC41
    Internal Battery - SM-BTR2
    Battery charger - SM-BCR2 - This doubles as a pc interface to customize settings,and update the firmware. And can only be used with an internal battery.

Di2 plug tool - To insert and remove the wires

2 shifter e-tube wires (350mm each) EW-SD50
    1 down tube e-tube wire (1000mm or more) EW-SD50
    1 battery e-tube wire (450mm) EW-SD50
    1 front derailleur e-tube wire (300mm) EW-SD50
    1 rear derailleur e-tube wire (550mm) EW-SD50

For internal set ups your frame need to be compatible for Di2. So it will need a hole near the head tube, a hole near the front and rear derailleurs.

The bottom bracket sleeve needs to have 3 holes in it to reach the wires from the downtube, seat tube and chainstay. The junction box B - SM-JC41 sits inside of one of the holes.

if not ,you can modify your frame and bb shell if you're brave :)

Your 10 speed chainrings/chainset should work fine with 11 speed.
  • ashleydwsmith
    Trailflow that is amazing. I have a look 675 which says the frame is di2 compatible and I believe o have the holes required.

What about the cable lengths?
  • Grill
    I have 6770 shifters and mechs if you want to go that route. In that case you'd only need to source:

3 or 5 port junction Box. SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B
    junction box B - SM-JC41
    Internal Battery - SM-BTR2
    Battery charger - SM-BCR2
    2 shifter e-tube wires (350mm each)
    1 down tube e-tube wire (1000mm or more)
    1 battery e-tube wire (450mm)
    1 front derailleur e-tube wire (300mm)
    1 rear derailleur e-tube wire (550mm)
  • trailflow
    Trailflow that is amazing. I have a look 675 which says the frame is di2 compatible and I believe o have the holes required.

What about the cable lengths?

What size frame do you have ? You can measure each section again your frame with a tape measure, remember to account for any extra slack wire out of the frame/shifters.
  • trailflow
    The cable lengths i've posted above are typical for a XS/S/M size frame with 40/42/44cm bars.