Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Front road bike wheel

sharp910shsharp910sh Posts: 90
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Well I ripped my rim of my front AL30c, it seems like its cheaper and less hassle just to buy a new wheel. But the problem is I cannot find a front wheel to replace the AL30c, seems like I have to buy a set.

I am considering buy a set and selling the rear wheel. What do you guys think. I am happy to spend after selling the rear wheel £100. What can I get for that?

Just to let you know I just changed the hub on my rear wheel and change all the spokes and they went bust due to the derailleur cutting into the wheel a while back. So I don't see any need to change the rear wheel.

So I am considering the Fulcrum Racing 7 at £122, I believe I could sell the rear wheel for at least £60. So the front will only cost me £60.

Or am i better of selling rear wheel and getting both replaced? If so what could I get for around £150-£200?

Im quite heavy, 100kg so im not sure if thats a issue. I had alot of problems with the bearing with the AL30c, so I would like a wheel with better bearing.


Thanks.

sharp910sh

Posts

  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just have a look on Fleabay.

    A quick search for 700C Front Wheel throws up 447 listings. Surely there is one amongst that lot to suit you

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Wheels-Wheels ... heel&rt=nc
  • sharp910shsharp910sh Posts: 90
    Thanks. I am now considering replacing both my wheels as the rear is quite heavy and takes a lot of time to get up to speed. I am considering either the Falcrum racing 5 or quattro.

    Are they worth it for a short a commute and weekend cycling?
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd be surprised if you can get £60 for a used rear wheel that sounds like it's had a hard life :shock:

    I'd just replace the front and start saving for a better set for when you've worn them both out.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The AL30 rim is a Kinlin XR300 I think. These are cheap. Your spokes could be reused so a rebuild could be more resonable than you think.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • sharp910shsharp910sh Posts: 90
    keef66 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if you can get £60 for a used rear wheel that sounds like it's had a hard life :shock:

    I'd just replace the front and start saving for a better set for when you've worn them both out.

    Sorry I mean I could sell the new wheel or the used wheel, I have yet to decide. I have just found out looking back at my old posts that I sold the front Al30c, so I actually have (before the front broke) a planet x model b on front and planet x al30c on back.

    I find the rear 32 spoke al30c very heavy as I replaced all the spokes with cheaper spokes due to damage, you can feel it but once it gets up to speed its ok.

    I cannot see myself spending 100s of pounds on new wheels, as i literally just cycle to work and around on the weekends for fun. So is it worth swapping the broken planet x model b on front and al30c on back for Falcrum racing Quattro or 5?

    Another option which was suggested is to replace the rim. I found out the Planet X model B uses a XR270 rim. Could I just buy this rim (if I can find it) and replace a spoke. Would I need to replace all spokes or just the 1 spoke which is damaged? I was told you by the LBS that he will not use my old spokes as he can't guarantee the quality of them. So I would need to buy new spokes.


    Seems like the XR270 rim is about £50 plus import duties from the USA. Does anyone know if i can buy it in the UK?

    I'm starting to think it seems easier just to buy the Quattro or 5!
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,561
    sharp910sh wrote:

    Seems like the XR270 rim is about £50 plus import duties from the USA. Does anyone know if i can buy it in the UK?

    Available on Ebay (24 hole only) or from sdeals

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151677566957? ... EBIDX%3AIT

    http://www.sdeals.com/index.php/home/wh ... -xr270-rim

    £27.50 so much cheaper than a US import
  • sharp910shsharp910sh Posts: 90
    arlowood wrote:
    sharp910sh wrote:

    Seems like the XR270 rim is about £50 plus import duties from the USA. Does anyone know if i can buy it in the UK?

    Available on Ebay (24 hole only) or from sdeals

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151677566957? ... EBIDX%3AIT

    http://www.sdeals.com/index.php/home/wh ... -xr270-rim

    £27.50 so much cheaper than a US import


    Cheers my hub is 20h, can I use 24h rim with 20 hub ?
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    sharp910sh wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    sharp910sh wrote:

    Seems like the XR270 rim is about £50 plus import duties from the USA. Does anyone know if i can buy it in the UK?

    Available on Ebay (24 hole only) or from sdeals

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151677566957? ... EBIDX%3AIT

    http://www.sdeals.com/index.php/home/wh ... -xr270-rim

    £27.50 so much cheaper than a US import




    Cheers my hub is 20h, can I use 24h rim with 20 hub ?

    Err, no.
  • sharp910shsharp910sh Posts: 90
    keef66 wrote:
    sharp910sh wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    sharp910sh wrote:

    Seems like the XR270 rim is about £50 plus import duties from the USA. Does anyone know if i can buy it in the UK?

    Available on Ebay (24 hole only) or from sdeals

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151677566957? ... EBIDX%3AIT

    http://www.sdeals.com/index.php/home/wh ... -xr270-rim

    £27.50 so much cheaper than a US import




    Cheers my hub is 20h, can I use 24h rim with 20 hub ?

    Err, no.

    What is the best option? Just buy a new wheel. Can you advice me on any good rims for around £50 with 20 holes.
Sign In or Register to comment.